Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A month without.

A month without.

As the title suggest, ive been off of citalopram for just over a month, took my last 5MG dose on 31/12/2009, thought id have a AD free start to the year... Anyway, about a month down the line i still dont feel like my normal self, i know some of this could be anxiety but it just doesnt feel like me, am feeling quite down and depressed, anxiety is down a lot but still have those days, depersonalisation / derealization is still there but not as much as it was on cit and am having mood swings, which is nothing unusual for me but these are swings from ok-ish to really low as apposed to ok to angry of what not, also they seem to have no trigger.

Just wondering if this could still be the citalopram playing tricks with my mind of whether it something else, seems an auful long time for my mind to readjust, especially as i was only on 20MGs for about 3months??

Cheers folks.

/Pete

Re: A month without.

Hi Pheetuz,

You sure you didn't come off of them too soon? 3 months is not all that long you know. Especially when you consider how long it takes for them to start taking their full effect. Then to start easing the dose down soon afterwards, too.

Just a thought. I have too many of them...

I was told that DR's like to watch new CIT users for 6 months to a year before thinking about pulling them off. I've heard it sometimes takes up to 8 weeks for the pill to start being really effective. I have the same concerns as Mart, maybe you came off to soon? Maybe you should have a discussion with your Dr. Keep us posted!

It can take a couple of months to get back to a stable frame of mind .once you have stopped taking them ..Sometimes even longer ..I do agree that you should have been on them longer as it would give you a better chanc of a full recovery without a relapse in the near future .Your brain chemicals have been affected by taking the cit ,Now its out of your system they will hopefully start to function as good as they did on it ..Time will tell ..good luck .

Yeah, ive got to agree with you about the fact that if they had of been helping me then i would have come off them too soon.
    My doctor agreed that they were exasterbating my symptoms, which apparently isnt all that uncommon with people under 25 taking citalopram, he suggested that i go onto a different AD called dosulipin which is of the trycyclic type.

The way im feeling atm i think that going onto another AD would be helpful for me, i am managing to cope atm but do not feel at all happy for long. Just that i am reluctant to after my experience with citalopram and seen as i am having CBT atm i kinda want to see if i can beat this on my own. Being on citalopram for me was absolutely terrible, although i know plenty of people who it has really helped.

Decisions, decisions aye? lol.

Just wanna know if its could still be the citalopram making me feel this low or whether its just my anxiety, really cant remember what life felt like before i started taking citalopram and having axiety so finding it hard to tell lol. If it is due to the withdrawls then ill just ride it out but if not then im gunna consider taking the dosulipin, have got a months supply upstairs that the doctor gave me for when i had finished with the citalopram. Will speak to him first tho.

Sorry if im kinda just thinking out loud but it helps

Cheers again folks

/Pete

I didnt see you post before suzy, u must have posted it as i was typing my last one
    So what your saying is that now im off of cit my brain should readjust to behave as if i was on cit??
    Just that being on cit really really didnt help me, made me a lot lot worse than i was already, dont particularly want my brain to readjust back to this state.
    I was hoping that coming off of cit would mean that it would have no further effect on me and that i would go back to being the person i was before taking the drug.

Apparently not then lol :'(

/Pete

Hi This drug helps more serotonin absorbtion ..When you have been on it a while and come off .The brain has reajusted the ammount it absorbs and therefore ,you should feel better .If it didnt work for you ,you will go back to how you were before you took it ..You wont be feeling worse ..Because different anti depressants work by affecting the various chemicals the body produce s it can be trial and error in finding the correct type that work for you .I hope the trycyclic helps more ..Its also imperative you do things other than rely on the drugs to help yourself with your problems .Has your Dr offered you any type of therapy or reccommended you do something other than just rely on the pills .? Hope you start to feel better soon x Sue

Phew. Thank god for that.
    Debating taking the trcyclic atm, may have to tho.

Yeah, Ive started doing my CBT, been to two sessions so far and have taken up Jujitsu as a confidence boost thing / exercise thing

Was going to have some EMDR treatment but my CBT counsellor said not to have two types of therapy at the same time.

/Pete

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I would give the tricyclic AD a go. It works differently to SSRIs and it may suit you more. Dosulepin is also one of the milder ADs of this class and combined with your CBT I'm sure it'll put you on the road to recovery.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks people

Gunna give it a few more weeks to see if i level out, see if it was the cit playing tricks on my mind, if not tho ill give the dosulepin a go

/Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information