Thread: Bad Night

Bad Night

I had a really bad night last night which is a real shame as the last couple of days haven't been too bad.

I woke in the night and couldn't get back to sleep. My mind was really busy and just wouldn't stop thinking. The thoughts were really disjointed and for some reason my mind kept devising new scenes for Little Britain and becuase I couldn't make it stop I got the inevitable panic sensation where I began to worry I might go mad, dive out of bed and do something awful to my whole family.

I think I dealt with it in the best way. I didn't over react, I lay there and tried thinking of something else which didn't work so I tried just telling myself that thoughts don't mean anything. I didn't go into a panic and I did stay there and go in and out of sleep and these thoughts.

How do other people cope with things like this? I am shattered today and a bit disheartened. I know full well that I would never hurt anyone but it scares me that in panic I have those thoughts.

Any advice appreciated.

Annie x

*I think I dealt with it in the best way.*

Indeed you did. Wow well done Annie- big step.

Today you may be knackered but you also need to smile.

You went through it without engaging with the thoughts, letting them come and go and today you're still as sane as you were before hand PLUS have notched that success under your belt so are better prepared should it happen again as you can comfort yourself that you did fine last time so can do exactly the same thing again, safe in the knowledge that you will will be fine again.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thanks Meg

I didn't really look at it like that.

I felt disheartened that I had the thoughts but I guess they aren't just going to stop coming. I do feel good that I have got through the night, just a bit anxious with expectation that they will return.

Did you ever have intrusive thoughts when you were at your worst? How long did it tke before you were less scared of them.

Logically I *know* that I wouldn't act on them but it doesn't make them any less scary becauae you don't feel logical when they hit.

Annie x

hi annie like meg says i think you dealt with it well but i no it wouldnt have seemed like that at the time.i too have a hard time at night strange sensetions think im giong mad .but it does all come down to one word anxiety .try and focus on something that makes you smile i know that can be hard as someone said that to me once and i thought what ajoke but if your not thinking about how bad you feel that can only be a good thing cant it.anyway i hope you get through this im sure you will .take care marcia xxxx

marcia lowe

Hello... I know exactly what you mean. I too have trouble sleeping. I have over the last few nights. I tend to stay up very late and want to fall asleep, but hardly happens. I can also wake up in middle of the night wide wake and strange random thoughts float in my mind! So random,i cant remember them, but know that i am shocked as to why i think of those things! I have been listening to calming music (friend lent me animal noises and music, very good)and burning lavender oil when i go to bed, which helps! My friend suggested meditation as well, which could help!
    I hope you are blessed with good sleep......i know the feeling of being knackered the next day! Be good to hear from you!
    Take care..... Kt

well apart from last night, panic attacks actually wake me up at least 3 times a week.
    so i know how you feel.
    just remember that none of this is your fault, you can't help it.
    have you tried changing your routine before you go to bed, thats what i am trying at the moment, but its been abit useless for me as i have chronic tooth ache ( going dentist tomorrow )
    good luck
    Fran x

Thread Information