Thread: Going out-any encouragement would be greatly recieved

Going out-any encouragement would be greatly recieved

Well I had my latest big panic attack a week Saturday which Im still embarressed about, but mostly scared it will happen again as I have to go to the doctors and the job centre tomorrow. I dont know if I can do this. I know I have to get back out there and get over it but the thought of it is making me ill

Re: Going out-any encouragement would be greatly recieved

You will be fine...just remember that a Panic Attack is just a rush of adrenalin giving you those symptoms and NOTHING WILL HAPPEN! You can do it!! It will more likely to happen if you anticipate it happening so just try to relax and just remember that if you do get symptoms they will be adrenalin released because you are worrying and nothing else

I also have social panic and have read a book that I bought from the shop on here and I honestly mean it...its been amazing..really made me see panic attacks differently..i went out yesterday to a big busy shop for over an hour and was fine so if you dont mind reading id give it a try its called Panic Attacks by Christine Ingham.

Good Luck!
    Candy x

Hi Spagetti.

Like yourself and Candy, I too have social anx. I've found that once you do a task your afraid of you become so proud and a bit more confident. Like you beat the anxiety, did not let it get in the way and have more control. You just need to build yourself up in baby steps. Do not punish yourself if you can't do it - but by all means you MUST give it your all!

The anticipation will be worse than the actual event. So just remember your deep breathing techniques and take some fun enjoyable distractions with you. Take a mp3 player, your favorite book, a magazine, crossword puzzle whatever it is! Also I find sometimes that rewarding yourself afterwards can help because you have something pleasureable to look forward to. Eat your favorite food after or buy something you like. Whatever you decide.

Also it doesn't hurt (but certainly helps!) to go for a brisk walk or do some exercise before you go so you can burn that anxious adrenaline off.

All the best xxxx

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Hi Spags !

Don't give up ! YOU can do it- you're a brave soul for going out again- this means you're already winning and healing against the anxiety battle/ disease !

You can do it !

Love-BB

Thanks everyone.

Well I missed my doctors appointment as I got in a state again. Got to the JC ok but got a taxi we cannot really afford. The other half isnt impressed. Well Im not either but at least Im trying. If I could switch it off I would, as Im sure we all would.x

The problem is that unless you have experienced it, you can't understand it. Even the psychiatrists and doctors can't truly "get it" unless they've been there.

With regards to the going out, I guess there's nothing anyone can say that will help - just try to keep repeating to yourself that nothing can happen.

Think about it - how many times have you feared "it" - you don't know what "it" is but it's this sense of impending doom, something you "know" will happen and every day is building up to it... but!

It never happens. It took me a good 4 or 5 years to one day think "hang on a minute... I've spent every day of the last 5 years, 20% of my life almost, worrying about something that hasn't happened". And man did I feel silly.

Thing is, if you let it beat you, before you know it you're 80 and you've spent your entire life worrying about something that didn't happen. You didn't enjoy your life and sod all happened.

Just shut a door on yesterday, balls to it, it's already happened. Tomorrow will be as good as you want it to be! Focus on getting a job and buying yourself stuff you want. I distract myself with xbox 360 and driving - it's much nicer than sitting in the house worrying mate.

Take it easy
    Matt

To which he replied "Yes, until I realised I'm not that important".

Best advice I ever had.

One thing to keep in mind is a panic attack has no geographical location. Just because you are out the house does not mean you will have one. You could have one in the house or anywhere. Focus on the positves when going anywhere and remember you will beat this.

calmness=you will feel more calm
    confidence=you have the confidence to do anything
    courage = you have the courage to cope
    control= you are in control of every situation

I cant tell you what it means to speak to people who understand.

Judeswan I had never thought of panic attacks having no specific location before. Youre right of course

I went out to the shop today and was fine. Just got to keep building on this and see what happened as the set back that it is x

Exactly, one step at a time Bit by bit and you'll start to realise it's lovely getting fresh air!

Matt

To which he replied "Yes, until I realised I'm not that important".

Best advice I ever had.

Thread Information