Thread: Fear of children

Fear of children

Hi all,

I don't know if this is an actual phobia or just part of my panic and anxiety but I've had an intense fear of children and baby's all of my life. When I was a child myself I would hide from other children, my own cousins and anyone younger then myself.

I spent 3 days a week hiding in a dark basement from a child who was only 2-4 years old coming over to my house every week.

Im fine with teens and children who are say 6 years plus, I dont really know what to do. I have panic attacks over the smallest things all the time and this is one of them.

Please help me understand, I cant wait to have children of my own but I've not been able to conceive for unknown reasons.

Re: Fear of children

Hi DM,
    I think you should go and see your GP about your fear and also your inability to concieve! For a start, maybe you need to concentrate on your fears first, as what is the point in having a baby just yet if you dont know how you are going to feel around it. Your doctor may be able to offer you CBT or counselling to help you get to the root of your problems and I don't think they would suggest that getting pregnant would be a good cure at the minute. I am sure that you will make a truly fantastic parent but you need to concentrate on overcoming your fears first. Your GP is the only person who can help you with this so make an appointment asap.
    Good luck, I am certain you will get through this xx

Hay thanks for your reply, Ive been taking citalopram 10 mg on off for years and years just had my dose upped to 20mg. My doctor would rather stick me on pills and shove me out the way I came in, same as all the doctors ive seen in this area. Its not just children that sets me off, could be a social thing. Shops, flashing lights, loud sounds, prolonged monotone sounds, crowds, i could go on lol

Had an external and internal scan done on my womb and ovaries last year and they found nothing but a slight tilt. Ill pursue the conceiving problem as soon as im more mentally stable. If i were to find out now that i cant have children id give up on everything.

Hi Dirty Mouse

Therapy would really help you. When I was little I developed a fear of unborn babies because I saw a book with pictures of them in it. I spent years after that with re-occuring nightmares and still now cannot look at tv programmes that show babies in the womb. I would like to have a child too, although I would need bloke first! I can see myself now refusing to look at the scan picture! Get some therapy first to help with the child/baby fear and then try again. My mum spent years trying for a baby and then had me....lucky her lol I do hope you have a baby one day, I can understand how bad you would feel if you found out you couldnt have kids I try not to think about it but I hope and pray I am well enough to have a baby one day.

Good Luck and Take Care
    Verity
    xxx

Thread Information