Thread: Panic attacks on cit?

Question Panic attacks on cit?

I have been on 20mg of cit since nov. I wondered though if anyone gets panic attacks on cit and what are they like? My panic attack feels like pins and needles and a bit of a rush but doesn't peak like it did before. Does anyone else get them? Is this normal? Just get occasionally before I was having every other day and why i went on this med.

Re: Panic attacks on cit?

Iv been on cit since oct 2009. The 1st few weeks were hell.Ican remember sitting down an wathching emmerdale an feeling quite unwell,then all ov a sudden i had this rush,couldnt tell ya wether it was hot or cold,it started in my thighs,freighned the hell out of me,stud up, an it went from my toes to the top ov my head,tingling.I did honestly think i was gonna die rite there.I still get it know. I do belive it's more 2 do wiv anx,then the meds.

Hi I took citaopram on and off for years, it can cause side effects when you first start using it or when you increase doses but I think its anxiety you describe. Have you thought about increasing your dose? Even an extra 10mg may help you...perhaps discuss with your GP at your next review?? JO

Hi, where do you get the pins and needles sensation? I get mine in the head and down my temples into my mouth, and it causes a metallic taste. It only happens before or during my worst bouts of anxiety. I found that 30mg of citalopram has been superb for helping me cope with anxiety and the only reason I'm having this "blip" at the moment is because I have been fiddling about with my dose.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Arrow Re: Panic attacks on cit?

Thanks for all your replies it's def anxiety as I only experience this when I am triggered with something stressful. I get the pins and needles sensation in my upper body it's like having a panic but it does not peak. It's like my body goes to be anxious but all I get is a quick rush of pins and needles? I only get when my stress is really bad. Can cit stop you having these? I'm unsure whether I need to go stronger but see my gp soon so will discuss. I can't though stress enough how much better these make me feel. I just wish I'd tried sooner!

Hi there, I've been on cit for just over 3 months and just had dosage increased from 20mg to 40mg. The pins and needs you describe I think are definitely more to do with anxiety than the meds. I have been much better since being on them, first 2-3 weeks were horrible but then it settles down. Have just had them increased cos when I got to 3 months I still had the odd bad day so Dr increased to 40mg which he said was the best dosage for anxiety/panic attacks. I hope you soon start to feel the benefit of the meds, which I'm sure you will, you might need to up the dosage as you go along but only your Dr can advise you on that. Wishing you all the best.

Jannie x x

Hi,

I'm on week 8 of 20mg Citalopram and was feeling great for a few weeks up until now. I have suddenly found myself thinking about feeling the way I used to and have started to feel anxious and depressed again (last night was the first really bad night). I was doing so well before this and am just wondering if it is normal to experience blips whilst on this treatment. I really hate the thought of going back to square one!

Thanks.

Hi Moomin 1,

I started to feel like that on week 12 so went back to Dr and he upped my dosage from 20mg to 40mg, week 1 with the increased dosage and feel ok, had a few bad moments but not like when I first went on the 20mg, I suppose because the Citalopram is already in my system. Felt a bit shaky Friday night when I was out with colleagues but not so bad over the weekend. Maybe you should have a word with your Dr to see if you need to increase your dosage, mine told me that 40mg is the best dosage for anxiety/panic attacks so I can only hope this is correct and will start to feel the benefit over the next couple of weeks. I too hope you will get the help that you need, but definitely have a word with your Dr.

All the best

Jannie x x

Hi Moomin 1, I took this medication for a number of years. 20mg was my usual dose but I had periods like you describe where I felt anxious/depressed again. When that happened I increased my dose to 30mg and then once I settled returned to 20mg again. We are all different and like Jannie says it may be that you need to increase and stay at that dose. Only your Gp and you can decide. Please dont worry you will get it under control again. The years I took this drug it really worked for me and helped me enormously. Good luck. Jo.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is a comfort to know that there is hope yet with Citalopram! Stupid thing is that I had just had a follow up appointment with dr and my depression/anxiety scores had plummetted to very mild/almost non existant and then all of a sudden almost a day later BAM! I think a lot of it is my own doing though as I started thinking 'what if it stops working' and 'what if I suddenly become resistant to it'! I must admit - I felt pretty horrendous last night and had a terrible nights sleep with heightened anxiety for the first time in a few weeks, mixed in with feeling really depressed. But this afternoon I have been working and am feeling a bit better. It certainly helps when I have people reply to my messages and will definately keep posting! I hadn't been on these forums for a while because felt normal again!

Thanks!

Thread Information