Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afraid to take medication

Re: Afraid to take medication

That has been a recent find and really applies to people who have taken them for very long time or have to take them indefinately. It is good to take them with food though, as they can cause stomach irritation. With food they are fine.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    You sound incredibly fit and well, in better shape than most of us will ever be LOL ! It isn't suprising that you feel this way about taking medicines, after having experienced nasty side effects from recreational drugs and having the cardiologist make you feel really fearful. The thing is, the way I've dealt with my past HA, is to remember that any of us 'may' develop something in our lives but all we can do is minimise the risks we create by being sensible, eat well and exercise. The rest is down to luck unfortunately - BUT - the positive side is that medical care nowadays ensures that each and every one of us is very likely to survive until a good age and have our ailments successfully treated even IF they do occur.

Your post was very topical for me, as my daughter was prescribed her first ever antibiotic course a couple of days ago. I was determined not to pass my fears on to her, although I was incredibly nervous almost to the point of not wanting her to take the med (of course I never told her this!!!), but continued to give it to her.

I think it is a fairly natural human reaction to not want to ingest something that we are uncertain about - it taps into our 'poisoning' fear which is designed to keep us, as a species, from eating uncertain things that could harm us. I think for some people it is hard work to get over that inbuilt fear, and rationalise it, so I entirely understand where you are coming from.
    How old is your daughter? I actually never worried about mine taking antibiotics.
    /bad parent & the worst that happened when my son was a toddler was the runs with them! Didn't bother him lol
    I think that probably indicates that deep down we know nothing bad will happen. Its all psycological. I cant even spell that

My pharmacist and I have an agreement that he doesnt put it the warning paper in my prescriptions. He knows I am scared to death of new meds so I just go get them and go on my merry way. In my case being ignorant to the side effects is good for me. I cant fear what I dont read.

How old is your daughter? I actually never worried about mine taking antibiotics.
    HI there. She is 12 years old, and this is her first ever prescription. Worryingly, she has developed an itchy rash after 2 1/2 days of taking it and I have to monitored as 'they' don't know if it is allergic or a non-allergic side effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information