Thread: Blood test question

Blood test question

hello all, i got a question, i had blood work done at the er when i went in after not sleeping for 5 days, it came back fine, not sure what they even checked for, i also had blood work taken for a possible thyroid problem which also came back fine... my question is, do you think either of those blood tests could have picked up a possibility of hiv? anything to alarm them? been a worry wort lately... thanks, also i live in the US if that makes a difference.

Re: Blood test question

Did you ask for the HIV test? Since you don't know what tests were ordered, it's impossible to say if you were tested for HIV. I know for sure that the thyroid test won't pick up HIV as I have the test every three months. I am hypothyroid.

I would call the doctor and ask for a copy of all your tests. If you are worried about HIV, you could ask the doctor to test you.

In the UK a Doctor can not run an HIV test without the permission of the patient, so no a blood screen at the ER would not include one for HIV. In the UK a blood panel done at the ER, would include, a FBC, U&Es, LFT, only if there are specific indications that other tests need doing are they added. You can walk into the local hospital or health centre if you want a hep or HIV test done, but you will be asked why you feel you need one and IF it is positive how you would react. This is the reason given here in the UK why HIV testing is NOT included in the standard screening process.

No blood test can detect HIV unless they screened you for HIV,

It will only detect the WBC count unless your WBC count is ABNORMALLY LOW they would advice you to take an HIV test

Thread Information