Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PETS AND ANXIETY

PETS AND ANXIETY

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE PETS ?

WE HAVE JUST PURCHASED A FISH TANK BECAUSE THEY LOOK NICE AND CALM AND RELAXING .
    REALLY I WANTED A LITTLE DOG WHO I CAN TAKE OUT FOR WALKS AND STROKE, MY HUSBAND DOESNT WANT A DOG :(
    I READ SOMEWHERE PETS CAN ACTUALLY HELP WITH ANXIETY , CAN ANY ONE CONFIRM THIS ?

THANKS

mirryx

Yes it is very true.

Look at this previous post ....

animals as therapy

Nicola

We have a little Shih Tzu dog. Her name is Rosie and she is the most lovable, placid little dog ever. She is great company, and doesn't have a harmful bone in her body. I have recently finished work, ((part-time) and she is lovely company. Even though she is small she loves long walks, which gets me out of the house, and also I get people stopping me just wanting to stroke her. I wasn't a doggy person either, but this little dog has changed that. Just and stroking her is calming, and she would let you do that all day. The more fuss you give her the more she likes it. As you have probably gathered I am totally besotted with her.

Jenny xxxxx

I have a German Shepherd and she certainly helps me. I bring her in the house at 7 each night for our playtime and no matter how stressed I am at the end of it I'm relaxed
    Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

mirry my partner doesnt want dog either AND I REALLY DO
    however we have 3 cats and rabbit and sea monkeys but i think a dog would make me exercise a help and i had a great jack russel growing up who was a good mate he lived to be 19 and was free with love and affection cats are calming when they let you stroke them too tho and much more independant
    however I STILL WANT A DOG
    dan

I've got a boxer (as in the breed of dog, not as Chris Eubank - that would be silly). I seem to be his favourite person in the house, he always follows me around. And I agree with Mirry, they do help you with anxiety. It's good just to have some company at times when everyone has gone to bed and you're sat up till 3am worrying about something. You don't feel completely isolated with a dog there. Plus they can distract you quite successfully!

Hi All
    Soular; I also have a boxer dog - aren't they most wonderful dogs. Mine follows me everywhere and she is like a little child.

I also have two cats. I would have a house full of dogs and cats if I could.

I think pets in general are good for both depression and anxiety. Cats are lovely to stroke and their purring is a very relaxing sound.

Lots of love
    Yvonne

Y Goble

I totally agree that pets help.
    i miss my dog so much when i go to uni. she a border collie and is crazy, but so loving towards me. she recognises my moods and shows sympathy and love.
    i wish i could have her here with me then i would be so much happier.
    i'm not allowed pets at uni :(

I have a Shar-pei dog, (Called Zeus) and he is fantastic.

He helps to calm me down lots, and I would be totally lost without him. As soon as I get back (even if I have only been out a few mins) he runs around me in excitement at just seeing me (something that husband doesn't do, bless him) He follows me around the house (he is lay at the side of me now) and I never feel alone.

I also take him for walks which gets me out of the house on days when I would hide away all day - I'm not alone if he's with me so it helps my confidence - and people that would normally just walk past stop and talk and fuss him.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away here over my Zeus. He's great company and a calming influence on me and I love him to bits.

On the down side, this doesn't help with my fear of going out to start a new job as I want to get back home to my dog[8)]

Debbie xxx

I agree that having a pet can help and there has been a lot of research carried out into the benefits, including the research reported here. This is one reason for the Pets as Therapy scheme.

I had two cats and, as well as being company, there is something calming and reassuring about stroking a cat that's curled up on your lap! Unfortunately I now live somewhere where pets are not allowed.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information