Thread: Long term meds

Long term meds

Hello all,
    I was just wondering if anyone else has been on meds long term, I have been taking antidepressants for well over 10 years, each time I have tried to stop the consequences have not been good so I go back on them.
    I am now panicking about what taking them long term has done to my body and mind, thinking my brain and liver will be turning to mush!!

Re: Long term meds

Iris ,lots of people are on meds long term ..If it keeps you well there is no reason to come off them ..They dont turn your body and brain to mush ..Over the counter medications do more damage .ie Paracetamol ..Sometimes they can affect blood count and lower blood pressure .Regular blood pressure checks and bloods are usually done to check on this .This is quite rare .so dont worry ...Sue x

Hi Iris,

Like you I have taken meds for around 11 years now on and off but mostly on! The last episode I had (I had come off meds Jan 09 and crashed in October 09) has taught me that I am better remaining on them even in low dose rather than coming off completely and then becoming ill again and having to start off all over again, its just not worth it. Obviously we are all different and some people just have an illness once in the life, but if like me I suffer on and off I just need something to help me carry on living a normal life. Dont stress about it cos if you had high blood pressure or heart probs then you would take meds for that, it is just the same with our illness.

Take care hun.

JO.xx

Iv been on Citalopram for over 6 years and each time iv tried to come off them the side effects have been unbearable, but theres a lot of people who are on them long term so i wouldnt worry to much.

Thread Information