Thread: How do your panic attacks start ?

Question How do your panic attacks start ?

My panic attacks always start with an awful pain in my chest, sometimes they come on really suddenly which really freak me out, i can be sat reading and all of a sudden i'll get a pain in my chest and struggle to breathe and then i start panicking worrying that im having a heart attack, other times im able to distract myself so i dont go into a full blown panic attack....i hate them and dread them.

Re: How do your panic attacks start ?

Mine are exactly the same, I too get that pain either in my chest or in my head and it feels like a terrible fluttering feeling and then I usually start to panic and feel like I can't get any breath in. I usually now try to think of something nice when I get this feeling instead of thinking doom. I have been going to a therapist who has told me to think of something lovely in your life that you have done and just focus on that. Sometimes this works sometimes not! I practice breathing correctly, looked at breathing techniques on youtube and bought a yoga tape and try to do that, the breathing techniques are very helpful, it's just remembering to practice them when you are starting to panic.

I hope you feel better soon from this awful illness.

Jannie x x

Mine start with sudden blurred vision, a rush to my head, punding heart etc. Usually happens when I'm stressed or sometimes happens out of the blue. When I had my first one I was just watching TV one minute and the next I was running around the place thinking I was about to die!

Mine start with intense heat spreading from my stomach outwards and towards my limbs, a strong burning feeling.

mine have always been tight chest with chest pains, then the feeling of not getting enough air in, then i hyperventilate, which then leads into a full blown panic attack (pins and needles in hands and feet, weak limbs, shakes, etc) they are awful. but CBT helps, ive been having it for about 3 weeks and its soooo good. i also take 20mg of Citalopram which i cannot recommend highly enough. It really is amazing. Im almost over my HA, ive finally accpted ive not got anythin wrong with me, and its all in my head, which is such a huge turning point. It will get better, ask your doc for CBT and panic attack meds if they r really affecting your life. x

Wow i didnt know there many ways for a panic attack to start. I started cbt a few weeks ago but its not helping me and i tried citaopram last august but was only on it for 4 weks as it made me really really ill, in fact ive never been the same since, ive had daily headaches since, something that i never had before.
    Thanks for your replies xxx

Thread Information