Thread: Medical tests

Medical tests

My over active mind has been working all night and day since having horrendeous joint pain and I am now worried that I may have Lymphona, especially as I experienced pain in my spleen, liver, armpit and groin from the onset of first getting ill over the Christmas period.

I also note that this can cause pressure on the lower back causing bowel and bladder problems, again something that I have and continue to have. But having the following tests that I have had, would these have picked something up that would have bought suspicion to do further tests?

Upper endoscopogy
    Colonoscopogy
    Full Blood Count
    Liver Function
    Kidney Function
    Thyroid Function
    Prostrate Function

I know everyone keeps saying that my problems are HA based, though I just cannot get it into my head that this is the case especially as the pain is so bad and I have lost weight around my thigh, pelvic region and chest.

As soon as I go back to the Dr she justs says anxiety and will not listen to my concerns!

Re: Medical tests

one thing that has always worried me is that because of my 20+ years of anxiety - whenever I do go to the Dr with one or other worry she never takes it seriously because of my history. One day maybe it is something serious and noone will listen to me because of the amount of times I've been before and this then adds to my worrying :(

Regardless of what you may have read online (we've all done the Google thing...) lymphoma is NOT generally a subtle or insidious illness. If you had lymphoma to the point where it was causing you joint pain (that is, it would have spread to the bone marrow) you would have other signs of the illness, and would be very sick indeed. You would be anaemic, and this would show in the red cell count on your blood tests.

Anxiety can trigger almost any pain imaginable. I spent from September until 2 weeks ago utterly convinced I had lymphoma. I went through the gamut of emotions you'd expect - anger, sadness, depression. The constant need to research the symptoms and read about the experiences of those who had suffered with or through lymphoma. You name it. I suffered for almost 7 months - constantly denying that my 'symptoms' (a minor swollen supraclavicular gland that 4 doctors deemed not swollen at all, skin problems, random aches and pains) could be at all related to my anxiety.

The absolute B@STARD of anxiety is that it magnifies your fears. As I was afraid of lymphoma and hyperaware of the symptoms of lymphoma, these were the symptoms my anxiety triggered. Normal sensations of momentary discomfort in my body became major twinges of pain - signs of the lymphoma spreading. Feeling hot at night became the dreaded night sweats - not the more rational explanation of living in perpetually warm Australia, where 30+ degree Celsius nights are a common occurrence.

With anxiety, your fears - no matter how subconscious or buried you may think they are - inform your reality... BUT they are not actually the reality.

I understand that you fear your doctor is not listening to you - we've all felt that way, but with all the testing you've had, I'm fairly certain the doctor has come to a logical and rational conclusion that nothing malicious is causing your physical discomfort.

- Marley

Marley, appreciate your comments. I feel very sorry that you have had that worry for such a long time.
    The blood tests were done on the 1st of feb and I have only started to get this extreme fatigue, in bed by 8.30, as opposed to 11ish and listening to the radio through to the small hours and the pains in my shins and arms since 3 to 4 weeks ago. The weight loss around my backside and thighs is very evident though my face remains chubby and my stomach seems to have bloated. Everyone is telling me the weight loss is due to eating less and not drinking alcohol like I use to. I also get very warm at night, often kick the quilt of me and feel clammy when I wake in the morning and i was unaware that this was a symptom, though I have to agree that as I have felt unwell since Xmas I would probably be in a worst state than i am now and be unable to walk or get up.

But I have to agree, if this is anxiety its a terrible terrible thing which I would not wish on my worst enemy!

It is anxiety - and it's horrible.

Regardless of your blood tests having been in February, the fact is, that if lymphoma were effecting your bones, you'd be very aware of your illness! What you have is almost certainly not lymphoma.

Weight loss is only significant if it's OVER 10 percent of your body weight in a short period of time. Our weight can fluctuate according to temperature, hormones, and (you guessed it) anxiety. Often, one of the most noticeable effects of anxiety is on either the appetite or the waistline. Like you, the first places I notice weight loss are around the bum and thighs - and I'm not a big person to begin with.

The more you concentrate on your symptoms, the longer they will continue to ail you. I know that sounds incredibly simplistic, but it's true.

It took me to the drastic action of taking myself to the emergency department of the hospital at 5.30am and having a doctor there assure me that I wasn't dying until I sought help for my anxiety. It was a big day, but I've improved dramatically since then, and my random aches and pains have mysteriously disappeared.

That`s encouraging. I have never sufferred with HA or GA in the past. I felt rough over Xmas had blood in my urine -invisible to the eye, 2nd week of Jan and someone mentioned bladder or kidney cancer to me. Since then, I am constantly at the drs, been had two invasive procedures carried out, taken more pills than I have probably taken in my lifetime and have had a month of work. I just cant get the dreaded C word out of my head now and cannot stop checking myself in the mirror, thinking my arm shape has changed, my elbow and knee bones are more visible etc etc. It has totally destroyed me in all honesty both professional and personally.

Thread Information