Thread: iPhone app for panic attacks

iPhone app for panic attacks

Hi there,

I am putting the finishing touches to an iPhone app I am developing which is designed to help people during a panic attack. The idea is, when you feel an attack start, you get your phone out and activate the app.

The app gives you positive coping techniques to help you deal with the symptoms.

I have 2 questions:

1. Would you buy such an app if you had an iPhone?

2. Can you give me some ideas on what content it would need to appeal to you? Eg an explanation of symptoms, breathing technique, positive assertions, etc

Re: iPhone app for panic attacks

for me what would help is reassurance, i find that helps me most during a panic attacks, knowing my symptoms aren't going to do me harm or die from them.
    Ann

I would say breathing first, with maybe a beat sound that is a normal heart beat. Affirmation next...like "Everything is fine" or "all is well" - perhaps the programme allows you to pick or even insert the soothing words you would feel most helped by

BTW: What an excellent idea - can I have shares

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Diaphragm breathing is something I struggle with - breathing help with counting etc would work for me. Another part of the app should be some activities to take the mind off the actual attack with good tips suchas "Count all the houses/trees/people you can see?" "Say the alphabet backwards out loud" "Count backwards in 4s from 200". Post a link when you've done it coz I will definitely buy a copy!

I find distraction really helps. Perhaps get people to do some counting or something that they have to concentrate on? Or tell them to concentrate and count how many blue stars on the page etc.
    I wouldn't get people to say the alphabet backwards out loud, as people may be on the bus whilst using the app and they would feel too embarassed to do it! Lol.
    Get them to draw something from memory as well - like a post box. Helps the memory and gives them something mundane to think about.
    In fact, giving people an option which they want to do in a menu would be good, menu could be help with breathing, distraction, etc.
    This is such a good idea - I congratulate you. If I had an iphone app, I would totally buy it.
    Helen x

Just reassurance that you are ok, and then distraction.

I want it on my blackberry please!

i would buy it sounds like a good idea i would want something reassureing me telling me its going to pass and keep breathing deeply

Ok well this is currently 3/4 through the programming stage now, so here's a lowdown of the sections involved. I can still make changes so feedback from you guys would be really helpful.

the sections are as follows:

breathing - a visual aid to slow down your breathing, breathe in and out in time with the visual aid, with positive affirmations eg your symptoms are harmless, and breathing tips eg breathe using your diaphragm.

reassurance - an explanation of symptoms and how they are scary but ultimately harmless, and also you choose your location: on a plane, airport, car, shopping, home etc - the reassurance is tailored to the location eg on a plane, stats about how safe plane travel is.

Are there any common panic attack locations I may have missed?

distraction - a small mini-game designed to take your mind off the uncomfortable symptoms

relaxation - an option if you have headphones of a soothing audio track and soothing visual images/positive statements

links - links to helpful websites and books on anxiety (maybe even this forum if the owners are interested!!)

Thanks for all the feedback so far, any more is most welcome and appreciated.

PS pricing will be around £2.99 on release.

sounds like a fantastic app! reassurance that all is normal is a big one

This sounds really interesting - wondering what the status of it is?

Thread Information