Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boredom and lack of enjoyment in life?

Boredom and lack of enjoyment in life?

This has been a major issue for me for a few years, I wouldn't say i'm depressed but I just dont have any enjoyment in my life, If I had to describe my mood on a daily basis it would be bored. The things that used to interest me don't anymore.

This week we went on our first ever family holiday to the coast, Had a beautiful hotel and plenty to do and see, I wanted home the first day, I wasn't enjoying it, we went for walks, to the beach, and something I used to love as a child swimming, I lasted 15 mins in the pool until I once again was bored/fed up.

The only time I get remotely happy about something is if I'm going to have a drink, even the thought of it lifts my mood, I try not to drink to often though as I know its a slippery slope to go down.

I wonder does anyone else have the same issues?

Re: Boredom and lack of enjoyment in life?

Hi samtheman,

Sounds like depression to me, but mild chronic depression. have a look at dysthmia on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia.

I know the feelings all too well, chronic low but not so low a mood, lost interest in what you used to enjoy etc. It's treatable I'm on the happy pill citalopram, and it's doing the job with low mood and giving me time to sort the rest out. Pop in and chat to the doc, mine was very helpful. Chatting on here is even better, I can get away with murder and people even laugh (virtually!) at my jokes.

Did used to enjoy gardening until five minutes ago; when I stabbed my heel with a sharp nail but I don't think that's linked to the depression.

ttfn

one of us

Quote Originally Posted by oneofus View Post
    Hi samtheman,

Sounds like depression to me, but mild chronic depression. have a look at dysthmia on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia.

I know the feelings all too well, chronic low but not so low a mood, lost interest in what you used to enjoy etc. It's treatable I'm on the happy pill citalopram, and it's doing the job with low mood and giving me time to sort the rest out. Pop in and chat to the doc, mine was very helpful. Chatting on here is even better, I can get away with murder and people even laugh (virtually!) at my jokes.

Did used to enjoy gardening until five minutes ago; when I stabbed my heel with a sharp nail but I don't think that's linked to the depression.

ttfn

one of us
    Having had a read it does sound like me exactly to be honest. I was put on citalopram for anxiety but was to scared to take it, and I dont think that will ever change.

Right then, had a good long snooze to let sore heel fester, which it hasn't.

Go and see the docs, they will not put you on medication if you don't want to and should give you a choice of treatments if any is needed; talk therapy, CBT, counselling, happy pills the choice is yours.

I do want to worry you, but mild depression can have a worse prognosis than acute depression. If not dealt with there is strong likelihood of it turning into episodes of what is referred to as double depression.

Out of the choice of treatments the best I was offered was self referral to Wiltshire's Primary Care Psychology Service pyscho-educational courses. At first I assumed they'd be school room style lectures along the lines of you listen we talk and tell you how to cheer yourselves up. It was more like a live version of this board. Twenty seven people were booked on the course and twenty seven turned up, from every walk of life young mums, students, a journalist who'd been out in the Rwandan troubles and me myself I. A right hotch potch of types, but all with a common need. It was one of the best days out I'd had in ages. I knew I was amongst friends when the question was asked how did we feel when we left home that morning. The first answer was "Selfish, I had to leave my little girl in tears" to which the rejoinder from the back of the classroom was "I've four teenagers, I'm quite happy" to oodles of laughter and much kindness.

one of us

Sounds like classic Dysthymia. I suffer from this as well.

NinjaXero,

Damm annoying isn't, to say the least (remember I'm English so we always understate things). You wouldn't think your depressed more the billy no mates type. Because its mild and chronic you develop mechanisms for coping and just accept it as your personality, until something kicks you in the proverbials and you realise it's something you can get help about.

It's almost certainly lost me £1,000's of pounds in terms of poor career reviews due to the negativity mild depression often exhibits. Still that said, in a way, that was a small costs to find this community of wonderful people

ttfn

one of us

i feel the same has you but i would not say i was depressed in fact i don't know what to say i put it down to anxiety or im in my 40s

I recomend reading about pyroluria, and searching for a blog called Heidi's pyroluria awareness week.

I think it is mild depression when you lose interest in life, because nobody wants to feel bored and uninterested in everything. I have felt a bit like this before, definitely when I'm been feeling down. I think you should speak to your gp and tell him how you feel. Sometimes we need a wee crutch to get us back to our old selves again.
    Myra x

Quote Originally Posted by myra View Post
    I think it is mild depression when you lose interest in life, because nobody wants to feel bored and uninterested in everything. I have felt a bit like this before, definitely when I'm been feeling down. I think you should speak to your gp and tell him how you feel. Sometimes we need a wee crutch to get us back to our old selves again.
    Myra x
    To be honest I never had alot of interest to begin with, I have always been not sad but just bored/fed up/uninterested/pessimistic, I thought it was just part of who I am, but this has held me back so much in life, the things most people achieve easily I can't, Like exams or even driving I can't

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information