Thread: Been changed to escitalopram

Been changed to escitalopram

Hey guys,

I posted a while ago about the sexual dysfunction problems I was having with Cit. Just thought I'd post an update on the progress in case it's helpful for others having similar problems.

I gave it about five weeks and there was no improvement. I was a bit anxious about talking to my Doctor about it but I figured it would be silly to continue on medication that was giving me these side effects out of embarrassment . So I mentioned it to my DR. at my review last week and he changed me onto escitalopram straight away.

He told me they were more expensive but had less side effects in clinical trials than Cit. He said it would take up to 2 weeks to see an improvement. I've already seen a little improvement so far and I'm now on day 4. Still waiting to see if it will improve further in the next few weeks.

I've had no additional side effects so far from changing over, not even mild ones like the nausea. I didn't have to wean off cit, i just started escitalopram the next day. They are a much 'cleaner' version.

So my advice to anyone having sexual side effects is to go back to your Doctor if they don't clear up. You don't have to put up with it. I know it can be a bit of an embarrassing subject to broach with your Doc (still can't believe I said 'climax' to my Doctor lol!) but it's well worth it to get the best out of your treatment. At the end of the day there's nothing wrong with you, it's your medication causing a problem.

Hope this helps others,

Mitch

Re: Been changed to escitalopram

Hi mate, this is a good post, I'm really glad things have started looking up (no pun intended), and I am very interested to know how the esc compares to the cit in terms of side effects and antidepressant/anti-anxiety effect.

Keep going and good luck

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Well I found the Cit was very good anxiety wise and had started to work on my depression just before I switched (that took longer). So far on escitalopram, I've had no blips from the change over. I feel 'level' if that makes sense? I was worried the side effects would start all over again with changing abruptly but they haven't, I haven't had any at all. I was on 20mg of Cit and I'm now on 10mg of escitalopram. The Doc said they were stronger and only go up to 20mg unlike cit which goes to 60mg.

Think I'll have to be on them a little longer before I can tell for sure though but so far so good.

Mitch

I think changing from one SSRI to the equivalent dose of another should lessen the "shock" of changing meds. It's the class of medication rather than the specific brand of medication which causes side effects.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information