Thread: Feeling really low.

Feeling really low.

I've been on citalopram for a while now, but for a few weeks I was feeling so low, like I'm literally in a black hole. I haven't been bothered to do anything, just wanted to stay in bed all day, which isn't like me!! Also, I've been thinking about suicide, not in a way of I want to die, but in a way that it would be a good way to stop feeling like this. The rational side of me knows that's not right, and that I never normally think of things like that, but it's really starting to scare me! It's like I'm the total opposite of myself, because I was literally petrified of everything, and not in my usual axiety way if that makes sense?

Thankfully I'm feeling better these last few days, but it wasn't until I felt better that I realised how bad I was.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these feelings after taking citalopram, and if anyone has any advice, because I'm really frightened.
    x

Re: Feeling really low.

Hi Beskiboo,

How long have you been on the Citalopram? Could it be that you need an increase in your dosage? Only reason I say that is because I think it is perfectly normal to have blips now and again, particularly if you have only been on Cit for a short time, but if the blips are prolonged and as severe as your last episode then you may want to consider speaking to your gp and asking about upping the dose?

Glad you are feeling better now

Moomin1

Quote Originally Posted by beskiboo View Post
    I've been on citalopram for a while now, but for a few weeks I was feeling so low, like I'm literally in a black hole. I haven't been bothered to do anything, just wanted to stay in bed all day, which isn't like me!! Also, I've been thinking about suicide, not in a way of I want to die, but in a way that it would be a good way to stop feeling like this. The rational side of me knows that's not right, and that I never normally think of things like that, but it's really starting to scare me! It's like I'm the total opposite of myself, because I was literally petrified of everything, and not in my usual axiety way if that makes sense?

Thankfully I'm feeling better these last few days, but it wasn't until I felt better that I realised how bad I was.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these feelings after taking citalopram, and if anyone has any advice, because I'm really frightened.
    x
    Hi,

Dont be frightened as I too have felt like you in the past. I totally relate to what you say about feeling you would rather die than carry on feeling in the way you do...I have felt like this so often, I know I wouldn't do anything but you just get fed up of fighting day in day out with the constant horrible feelings. I just then think of my loving family and know I couldn't do it. Also as soon as "the feelings" lift you cannot believe you felt like it.

How long have you been taking cit for? And what strength are you taking? You may need a little higher dose but if as you say towards the end of your thread the last few days have improved it may have just been a blip as we all suffer with those. Hope you continue to feel o.k. hun. Take care.
    JO.xx

I'm hoping it's just a blip, because it was awful. It's strange, because however anxious I am I never get depressed or anything, so it's new to me.
    I've only been on it for a few months, so it's probably still settling, and I'm only on 20mg.
    I'm lucky that my boyfriend is really supportive and spent a lot of time reassuring me that everything was ok, so that definately helped!

I'm definately going to speak to my doctor about it, and see what can be done.
    Thanks for your help, it's nice to know I'm not the only one!! x

Thread Information