Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg Burning

Leg Burning

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have had a rough couple months, and am glad I stumbled on this site. I had a question about possible anxiety symptoms. The back of my legs tingle to the point that they almost burn. I am stiff behind my knees and calf muscles are sore. This has been going on for about 4 weeks now! I self diagnosed myself in December as having a panic attack. This was due to a fear of having HIV. I had never experienced anything like it before. I was nauseus, dizzy, short of breath, etc. I thought I had contracted HIV from a poor night of judgement where I somehow ended up having sex with a prostitute. This is something I have never done, and something I will never do again, it was the result of overdrinking. Anyway, the panic attack made me think I had HIV. I was convinced. I have had weird symptoms ever since. I tell myself it is panic/stress related, but can't shake the leg tingling, burning, soreness, twitching! The twitching has moved to other parts of the body as well. Will this go away? Do anxiety symptoms last long after the panic attack? Any reply would be appreciated. Thank You.

The symptoms you talk about are some of the most common we experience - pins and needles/tingling is one I get quite often, and have had warm skin before too. It seems you are very tense around the calves as well.

You haven't actually said if you've had an AIDS test - get that done to help you.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Due to my panic attack and severe anxiety associated with thinking I have HIV, I have had two tests already. However, with HIV, you are recommended waiting until 12 weeks (3 months) to have a test done. This of course has only added to my anxiety. Even though I had a test done at 9 1/2 weeks (which was negative) I still can't be 100% assured. This weighs heavily on my mind, and makes me super sensitive to what my body goes through. Constanly checking for any symptoms. The odds are, that if I did not test positive at 9 1/2 weeks, then I'm probably ok (statistically speaking). So why do I still not feel good? I'm guessing it is anxiety and guilt. I have never experienced this before. I want my life back to normal. Sometimes I think I might have something else wrong with my legs, but I have stessed myself out for 2 months over this. I guess the stress/anxiety just caught up with me. I'm pretty much over all the symptoms, besides the burning, stiff, tight legs. Thanks for your response. I guess there are so many people out there going through things that before recently I had no clue about. It really is easy to underestimate how important your health (physically and mentally) is to you........until you don't have it anymore. I will have my 3 month test next week. I hope this can ease my mind a little. Thanks............JC

JC

Burning and tingling can indeed be part of anxiety.Usually they are not singular symptoms.

Maybe do some exercise to get the muscles moving.

If you're focusing on the symptoms they last longer so try to have periods of time when you get really involved in something else.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thanks for the advice. My leg sensations aren't nearly as bad as they were last week. Almost not there.....I'm thinking it could be related to work, and being at the computer all day. This weekend, I did have sore neck, tension and throbbing in my head after getting myself worked up. I still find myself constantly checking my body for some symptom. Today things are pretty good. Best I've been in the last month. I started taking a Vitamin B stress complex, and some other supplements. Maybe those helped me a bit, or maybe it is mental.

The leg burning/soreness & tension didn't start until almost 2 weeks after my panic attack. I was severely stessed out for the entire time. I think It caused an overall imbalance, and lack of exercise contributed to it. Anyway, I should have HIV test results this week. Thanks again for the post. Have a wonderful day.

Leg problems came back yesterday after I went and took my test. I guess I got myself worked up over it again reading things on the net. Tingling and soreness behind my legs, muscle twitching in legs and other parts of the body.

It felt better when I woke up, but I can feel it starting again once I got to work. Does anyone else have it come and go like that? I wish I didn't think about this stuff all the time!

A few months back I tested positive for herpes (never had an outbreak). After that diagnosis I went into "shock" thinking that if I can have herpes and not know it, I probably have HIV and don't know it!

I went off the deep end and gave myself serious anxiety attacks. So bad that I went to the E.R. and could not swallow! They looked at my throat and x-rayed me - etc. - I was told I was fine and was put on a seditive and sent home! The seditive worked and I could swallow again. Since then my neck has been so tense the difficulties come and go!

Since that major anxiety / panic attack - my leg's have been twitching, tingleing, gone numb and had a feeling of pins and needles. It is driving me crazy! I went to the neurologist, he zapped my legs and said my nerves were fine and that he saw no need for further testing and he said I probably had restless leg syndrome (RLS) and put me on Requip. It does not seem to work all that well. The twitches come and go all day. I feel it in the thighs (front and back), behind the knees, calves, feet. I even noticed that I have two large lumps on my left thigh when muscle is fully flexed. Worried, but the Doctors keep telling me not to be. They say it is just my anxiety causing all of this. I would not have the anxiety if the twiching would stop and just go away already!

What is up with the thigh, I can see the damn muscle changing, how can this be normal and due to stress and anxiety? They say work out and it will go away, I am working out every day and the legs just seem to get worse! Can anyone relate to what I am going trough here? The doctors say that the thigh muscle is just swollen muscle mass from the twitching muscles, everything is fine, it is not deteriorating. It will go back to normal.

Doctors seem to think I am a hypocondriac, I think it's for real. I just want to get better! I am scared to death that I have HIV. I have not made the best decisions in the past, and now my anxiety is overwhelming!

So I can relate to what you are going through cause I am going through this Hell also. Unlike you, I cannot gather enough strength to get tested. So I guess I am fuc--d! I am scared of what I may do to myself if I test positive, but damn what I am doing to myself right now is killing me just as quickly!

Anxiety and stress can do some strange stuff to the body! Stay strong brother, you are not alone!!!

[V]

Henry

Exercise alternating with relaxation like yoga are both helpful.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Henry -

I have had the exact same problems in regards to the legs. It is very worrisome. The leg problems almost have gone away in the last week for me. This is over a month after my first panic attack, and ongoing anxiety related to it. I still have a little soreness in my calfs from time to time. I advise you just to get tested. I just did a home access test this week and got the results back two days later. Too my relief, It was negative. The test can give you reassurance and provide a step in moving forward with your life. I should take my own advice, my enjoyment lasted a whole day. I started to worry about it again, becasue of a presistent dry mouth and infected tonsel. I also developed some kind of lump in my arm pit which scares the hell out of me too.

Hang in there. But for sure, get tested. Your symptoms sound like anxiety to me (ain't it funny how we can say that about someone else, but when it is us, we are sure that something is wrong!)

Good luck - JC

Meg:

I am taking a Yoga class, I had one last night prior to my first post on this board. It helps for a short period.

Last night was Hell for me, after 1/2 of no sleep my worrisome mind started to act up. The pins and needles sensation overtook my lower legs from the knee to the foot! It was the same feeling as if they were asleep. The calves and legs are stil tight and sore today as I am still feeling the effects.

I called the neurologist to let him know that requip is not working for me. Waiting for a call back.

I don't know what to do, all that I do know is that I got to stop diagnosing myself on this damn internet! The internet was my downfall.

[V]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information