Thread: Can Citalopram stop surreal feelings? Please help!

Can Citalopram stop surreal feelings? Please help!

Hi, I just joined this website today after reading through the posts.
    I've been suffering from anxiety for five months. It was brought on by a panic attack and since then I've had a constant surreal, detached feeling. I don't go outside, I've had to leave school and I can't sit my exams this year because of it. I just don't know what to do anymore it's effectively ruined my life. I'm on 10mg Citalopram in the morning because I'm only 16. Has anybody else had success with it stopping the feelings? Any answers at all would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Can Citalopram stop surreal feelings? Please help!

Hi, sorry you're having a bad time of it. Citalopram can help with derealisation since derealisation is one of anixety's side effects. As you start feeling better, the derealisation will trouble you less until it goes away altogether. In your case the feelings of unreality might just be due to the fact that you've never experienced this level of anxiety before, so the whole thing feels alien and frightening. This goes away as you get used to it and realise that the problem is not dangerous in any way and is completely normal. Hope you feel better soon

PS If you are able to speak about your problems it may help to call the Samaritans on 0845 909090 or Anxiety UK on 08444 775 774. AUK are open Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm and Samaritans are always open. If AUK is busy, keep trying, they only have a small team but they are very understanding of anxiety since they are all sufferers or ex-sufferers too.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Okay, thank you so much. I was so worried that I would just go through all the side effects and end up worse. Thank you!

ive had that feeling the only time it goes away is when you stop letting it scare you and ignore it then it goes xx

Smile Re: Can Citalopram stop surreal feelings? Please help!

Citalopram will definitely help with this. I was a basket case with the surreal feelings but as I started to improve the surrealness disappeared altogether. Took about 2 months for me, might be quicker for you - I'm glad I did it. Hope this helps.

Thread Information