Thread: Have i got depression?

Have i got depression?

Hi,

A few years ago i used to have panic attacks, the last few months i have had family problems and also stress from my final year at university.

My panic attacks started again, i find it hard to concentrate at uni and on my work. sometimes i have a weird feeling in my stomach its like the feeling you get before you are about to cry or somethin. i havnt been able to sleep properly too because i feel upset and down, i'l wake up early hours in the morning and cant go back to sleep, to solve this i sometimes walk around the house constantly without stopping until i feel tired again. I dont feel like going out and i feel like i am on my way to fail my final year. i feel constantly upset and sometimes have pains in my legs and arms. i am behind with my final year project now and i feel like i cant finish it because i am findin it hard to conecentrate. i am thinkin about seeing the doctor about my situation, i dont know wht to do

Hamz

hi hamz,

i am also in my final year at uni and i know how stressful it is. I've also been a long term sufferer of PA's so i know what this is like..
    First of all, realise that its normal to be stressed .. you are not alone, its a stressful time.
    what is worrying you? do you know what you will do when you finish? is that what is upsetting you? try and write down what you are worrying about and then deal with them one at a time.

I think it would be a really good idea to chat to your GP and tell him/her what you are feeling.. they are very good and may suggest you have some counselling or give you some tips about how to cope.. once you have been it will put your mind at rest.

you will be fine - you have made the first step by posting here.
    well done,
    lisa
    xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

and dont forget to think positively!

you said you were on your way to fail your final year. how about you are on your way to succeeding in your final year!?

are you doing your dissertation?! its no wonder you are stressed!

lisa
    xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

Hey lisa thanks for replying

I am worrying that I wont be able to get my final year project work done on time, its not only university that is getting on my nerves but also problems at home. I am worried about what I am going to do after university, most of my friends have graduated with 2:1 and my dad is expecting me to get a 2:1 too. I am not a very optimistic person so it doesn’t help. It also doesn’t help when you final year project tutor doesn’t help and is very sarcastic and puts you down.

I have no idea what I am going to do in the future, I am doing computer science by the way and Oh My God is boring!!

I was fine in the middle of last semester but after things have just been getting worse for me and I am starting to find it hard to deal with my stress.

I was hoping the doctor could give me a note to explain the problems I have been getting to the university but I don’t know how seriously they are going to take it.

hamz

hamz,

it sounds a very similar situation to what i was in last year.. i had an awful lot of things going on too and uni was the only 'secure' thing i had, so when that finished, i thought i would be 'insecure'.. i unfortunately had to leave - went thru the whole process of filling out forms and what have you and basically stopped 6 weeks before the end! gutted!! this is why I am back again! but this time i have none of the stress i had before and i have a permanent job to go back to and now i can't wait to finish the course!!
    last year i wanted a 2:1 too, which i got in my dissertation but now i'm pretty sure i'll get a 2:2 but i really dont care, i just want to finish.. other people can put pressure on you but the fact is you will have a degree, no one else is doing it, you are, so you take the success for yourself and noone else..
    it certainly doesn't mean you have depression, stress maybe. Pls make an appt with the doc just so you can talk it through, this often really helps.
    Its only natural to get pressure from your family to do well, mine unwittingly do, but try and accept their comments and be proud of yourself, you should be, its bl**dy hard work!!

good luck,

lisa
    xxx

hey lisa

Yeah u are right, i am feeling much better now talking to someone about my problems. i will still try and see the doctor this week and talk about it with him. i didnt have this kind of stress last year, i guess it was because its was the 2nd year.

i am trying to work on my dissertation right now but finding it hard to focus, on top of that i havnt done much!

I was wondering if it is worth getting a doctors note about my situation and show it to my tutor/university?

Hamz

hi hamz,

yes i think it will as they will bear it in mind when marking.. its an extenuating circumstances form. Its all very private so its worth doing, i think they request a letter from your doctor so you def need to have a chat with doc before you fill this in. I am also trying to write a review on a journal on climate change but keep ending up here!!

good luck!!

lisa
    xxx

hey Lisa

great! thats wht i will do this week and go see the head of my year with the problems that i have been having.

I am working on using data mining techniques on ECG data to find if someone has heart problems :S

Anyway it was nice chatting to u, its cheered me up

Hamz

glad to hear it hamz

good luck with your head of year and well done for taking the initiative to do something about it.. this will work in your favour..

let us know how you get on,

lisa

Thread Information