Thread: Depressed because I can't go to shops.

Depressed because I can't go to shops.

Please can anyone help?

I've been a guest at my Mum's sheltered housing complex for the last few days and in a few hours I shall be returning to my flat in London.

I'm really nervous about the train journey because i've been so depressed for the last couple of weeks and feel so frightened.

I know I'm not feeling well and hope I can get some help from either my Doctor or my CMHT when I get back.

I keep bursting into tears, which is embarrassing and distressing for a man and I get this awful build-up of pressure in my head.

I find it so hard to stop worrying about certain problems which I'm avoiding. Some of these are connected with my flat and the feelings of isolation and loneliness it can invoke. The environment itself, which can be noisy and the fact that I need to purchase new furniture, decorate, and do other things.

I can get myself into a severe state of agitation, trying to do several things at once and forgetting what I've done. I'm worried that this may happen when I'm out of my 'comfort zone' and i could be taken advantage of or have an accident.

I find it hard to trust people and I know this kind of attitude isn't helping because it only increases my paranoia.

We all need some respite from our troubles don't we? I would appreciate any advice or words of encouragement, especially from anyone who can identify with any of this. How do you cope?

Best wishes

Re: Depressed because I can't go to shops.

Hi there,

I guess you have taken your journey by now? How did you get on?

Just to let you know I can relate to how you are feeling x

Heya,

Just read this post now, hopefully your trip went okay! I've been feeling the same, I get horrible pressure in my head and I went through a phase where I was too afraid to go out, even 5 minutes down the street alone. I think the best thing you can do is to push through it and do what you need to no matter how terrifying it is. I have been doing this and I can now walk into town alone (20 minutes) and back, and I can catch a train into the city and to university alone (both 1 hour). It's horrible and terrifying at first, but after you've done it a few times it will become familiar and not so scary. I used to try and avoid anything that made me worry, but doing so actually creates more fear about it. The more you fear something the worse it will become. And it will be horrible and terrifying and scary when you first stop avoiding these things, but slowly it will get better. Just try and ease into the situations you're afraid of very slowly

Heya,

I am sorry I just saw this post now. I can relate to the things that you have said.Its awful when you have a lot of stuff inside building up. I hope the trip went ok, in order for me to get through trips that I don't want to make is that I top up my ipod with podcasts,audio books and other stuff that i can distract myself with! I also take a book, puzzle book.Anything really that will help me get through it.

Take care xxx

Aint the ipod a life saver !!!... I know how hard this is myself , i still struggle with it at times , i went on holiday to las vegas in november ( big step for me )just before getting on the plain i felt a panic attack coming on , was ready to just about turn and go home , but i took a diazepam wich calmed me down and got on the plain , door closed engines running !! well thats it !!cant say STOP !!! let me off now please !! lol,, not saying i was great all the way there ,had a couple of moments where i started to feel that horrid feeling coming over me , but concentrating on my breathing and keeping the mind occupied does help . My ipod was a great help going over there ...

Thread Information