Thread: SEVERE lack of concentration..........

Exclamation SEVERE lack of concentration..........

I've only been on citalopram for 5 days but i am finding it EXTREMELY difficult to concentrate. my attention span is 5 minutes, if that, and then i stare in to space for a while........ and then i'm like woooooaaaaahhh CONCENTRATE!!
    it's really rather inconvenient seeing as i'm trying my hardest to teach myself all of last terms lectures that i missed and revise for this exam on monday. so yeah, i admit that it is boring stuff but this is just ridiculous how long it's taking me to get through one a4 page, and then i can't remember anything!!!
    aahhhh. it's driving me up the wall.

anyone who knows if this is a normal side-effect PLEASE let me know as it's so frustrating, much worse than the excessive yawning which i like to use to make other people yawn for my own amusement.

thanks

Re: SEVERE lack of concentration..........

both the lack of concentration and excessive yawning are common side effects early on in citalopram treatment.

The concentration thing is an issue I have, too. I liken it to a computer that keeps stuttering and needing someone to press ctrl-alt-del!

I'm afraid it might not go away quickly - I still have it now and ifanything it has progressed.The trick is to see if anything triggers it - sensory overload can set my brain-stutters off, but also if there is nothing going on around me I can just sort fo retreat into my own head, so I try to keep myself in an environment where there is one thing for each sense to concentrate on. I have one album of fairly samey music on, but no other noise sources, I sometimes wrap myself up in something like a shawl or blanket so my sense of touch isn't overloaded.

It also helps to be around people who can snap you out of it- maybe try group study sessions with friends who know your situation and can give you the occassional wake up poke!

I have been exactly the same on cital, the first few years were the worst. I have always been an avid reader and I could not even read one page my concentration was that bad. It should ease off and hopefully fast

THis is useful and could explain some of my lack of concentration, I just thought i was getting thicker!!

Hi Ragdoll

I too got awful concentration and excessive yawning with citalopram.. and over the months mine got worse instead of better, so much so that in the end I would have to allow others to remember things for me and I had to write even the most straightforward things down to assist me... how terrible..

My memory is still not wonderful but I don't get as much yawning, maybe it is that our brains are so frazzled by the time we get the medication that it goes to sleep when it finally gets the chance.. sometimes it is funny and other times it is so damn frustrating!!!

The other thing that I suffer from is tongue tie.. oh now that does drive me mad my mind says to say one thing and something completely different comes out lol.. like the other day I said tumble dryer as opposed to fridge which is what I was supposed to say, whilst looking straight at the fridge... or I just simply cannot recall a word and have to go right round the houses to say the same thing...

you will have to try memory stories to assist you or maybe set yourself tasks to ensure that stuff is staying in when it is needed, its hard enough at work but I had to end my studying as I just couldn't take it in at all, in and out and more frustrating was that I understood what I was reading just couldn't absorb it properly to retain it .. good luck x

Thread Information