Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 weeks of citalopram and still no relief???? PLease reply!!!

6 weeks of citalopram and still no relief???? PLease reply!!!

HI everyone,

Have uped my dosage from 20 to 30 mg two weeks ago and still dying from anxiety, the anxiety wouldn't measure a 10 everyday but fluxuates from a 3 to a 10 from day to day, with the mornings being the worst as everyone most else claims. I'm thinking it's time to switch to a apecific anti-anxiety med. I feel the depression kicks in more when I don't sleep well and have major anxiety. I'm thinking if I could minimise the anxiety I woyuld sleep better therefore not be so low and fall into deppression.

DOes this make sense to anyone, please send your opinions I really need some help on this as I am thinking of leaving my wife, cancelling a year long planned trip with my son. For some reason I don't want to go anywhere in this state. I gather this is a common sympton???

PLease reply!!!

Re: 6 weeks of citalopram and still no relief???? PLease reply!!!

Hi Ronster,

It can take some time for citalopram to kick in properly, for me it took about 8 weeks or so, maybe talk to your doc about upping the dose? all your symptoms sound very normal by the way.

i know it's all horrible now but it will pass.

good luck.

Hi Ronster

It took me a good few months to feel better on citalopram. Started on 20mg and increased to 40mg after 3 months. Now been on the increased dose for about 2 months and I do feel so much better. My Dr said 40mg was the best dosage for anxiety. I do have odd moments or days where I don't feel so good, but then everybody has days like that even those who don't suffer with anxiety/panic/depression. Have a word with your Dr and see if you need to increase the dosage further.

Hope you soon start to feel better.

Jannie x x

Idstain and Jannie,

Could you also tell me when the Cit kicked in did it also help you sleep through the night?

Thanks for your responses,

Ron

Hey Ron,

Try and ask your doctor if you can have something like diazepam/Valium alongside the citalopram until the drug starts to kick in more. It'll get you through those terrible mornings and help you fall asleep at night. And I know how it feels to not want to go anywhere when you feel like this. I feel like a shell of my former self right now... I'm limited to the house, and one street in my village at the moment, when I used to be driving about everywhere. I'm supposed to be going to see my two favourite bands perform in London next month, and now I'm thinking I can't go if I don't get any better. Which SUCKS. So yeah, you're not alone feeling like that.

Give the meds a little longer, perhaps up the dose as the others have suggested, plus tell the doc how much trouble you're having and ask for a benzodiazepam to help you along the next few weeks. Take it easy

HI Ron,
    just read your post, did u start off with anxiety, rather than depression? is this your first time on meds? Both times that i have started on them the anxiety has gone worse, but after a few weeks, completely settled down, i took diazapam for two days when i started my meds 5 years ago, and it really helped me sleep and relax, which like you say once you have had your sleep you feel so much better. Dont think about leaving your wife at the moment, make that decision when you feel calmer, i nearly left my husband five years ago, still here now ! lol. By the way where are u going on your trip?
    take care lynne

Hi Ron,

Citalopram does cause increased anxiety when you first start taking it and is usually the last symptom to disappear as the meds get into your system.

I am suffering with morning anxiety and have been for quite some time now...I find some days it lingers during the day right into late afternoon too and can totally relate to how you are suffering and feeling at this moment in time.

I think you need something to help you until the meds settle and certainly something to help you sleep as that in itself will make the anxiety worse. My GP has prescribed zopiclone in the past to give me a good nights sleep and he also has given me diazepam to help.

I would definately go back to your GP and ask for something else to help you as you shouldn't have to suffer like this.

Please dont leave your wife at this moment in time...that is the last thing that you need to be dealing with and your mind will be over the place....wait until you feel a bit better before making such decisions in your life.

Good luck and I really hope that you feel alot better soon...not at all nice...I know.

Take care
    JO.xx

Thanks everyone,

I have been takibg Lorazopam for the last 6 weeks also, thing is your only really supposed to take it short term and not really everyday because of the tolerance issue. I have been weining myself off for the last two weeks and am down to a 1/2 a tab a day. Perhaps Diazopram could replace it I guess. Mot too excited about mixing a cocktale of drugs considering I have never been on eny of this stuff in my life.

I know I need something to help but I wish it could be one thing and one thing only. Do you think that the 6 weeks of Citalopram still isin't enough time and should I up from 30 to 40MG's

Thanks again everyone

Ron

Can anyone tell me if uping my dosage of Citalopram from 20 to 30 would kind of increase the side effects again. It seems since I up'd a week ago the insomnia and anxiety has gotten more severe again. Do I need to ride out this increase with the side effects the same as the first 4 weeks of the original dosage??? difference is the side effect's since the increase are not as severe>

Make any sense to anyone,

Opinions appreciatted.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Can anyone tell me if uping my dosage of Citalopram from 20 to 30 would kind of increase the side effects again. It seems since I up'd a week ago the insomnia and anxiety has gotten more severe again. Do I need to ride out this increase with the side effects the same as the first 4 weeks of the original dosage??? difference is the side effect's since the increase are not as severe>

Make any sense to anyone,

Opinions appreciatted.
    Very normal Ron. I increased my med a few months ago and had exactly the same for a few weeks. It does pass so stick with it mate.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information