Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seizures or Depersonalization? Help!

Re: Seizures or Depersonalization? Help!

How are you now Phil?

& Crazyhayz how do you cope with the arm thing? I just can't :/

MC, i am exactly the same, i get it all day pretty much all the time!!!! I dont rly cope i just HAVE to carry on, and i force myself to carry on. I read on a website that it is symptom of DP, and im pretty sure it is, though i havent asked my gp if im honest... im waiting to see a neurologist coz i get balance problems, and sudden vertigo, blurry vision, prickly feelings in parts of my body, numb patches....etc... The arm thing is BY FAR the hardest to live with, i wake up in the night with it and it scares me so much that i find it hard to go back to sleep... i hate it!! If u hold something in ur hand (the hand that doesnt feel attached), does the object feel strange in any way? like ur hand is over/under sensitive?? I get this, and i read on a website that that too is a symptom of DP. I personally think ive got depersonalization disorder. all my symptoms (well, most of them) are linked to my DP, so if i could just get rid of that i know id be alot better... but it just wont shift. Ru on any meds?????? Sum1 told me meds can cause ongoing continual DP, (im on citalopram 20mg, and this is an SSRI, which apparently can cause DP and DR) do u get DR? I hate that too, sumtimes i look around and i dont know if im even part of the world or i ask questions in my head like 'wow this world looks weird, how did that get there?' and stupid things like that lol.

But no, i dont cope rly, i get very depressed about it... and ive gotta little 2 year old boy and a full time college course...i dont know how i do it...but i do...i have to :/

Hope ur ok?

**** He who fears something gives it power over him.- Moorish proverb ****

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

the arm or arms that seem unattached also feel VERY VERY VERY weak when i get it. Like almost dead! I still have my strength but it just feels either VERY heavy or VERY light, and the weakness and clumsiness is unberable!! i hate dp, its deffo worst thing about anxiety coz it changes ur whole outlook on ur SELF AND THE WORLD AROUND YOU. what could be worse than that?? I hate it :(

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhayz View Post
    the arm or arms that seem unattached also feel VERY VERY VERY weak when i get it. Like almost dead! I still have my strength but it just feels either VERY heavy or VERY light, and the weakness and clumsiness is unberable!! i hate dp, its deffo worst thing about anxiety coz it changes ur whole outlook on ur SELF AND THE WORLD AROUND YOU. what could be worse than that?? I hate it :(
    Everything you've said is just like me! :(
    It's horrible.
    Sometimes I'll just be sat here and my arms will just feel completely foreign and I will be able to see them but not feel them and then things like typing seems weird because I'm thinking to do it I can see it happening but I can't feel it, in a way it feels like I'm moving in slow motion.

I told my GP yesterday that I keep feeling like my arms aren't real, like they're numb and not mine and he didn't seem too concerned :/ how can he not be too concerned when it's MESSING up my life.
    If that disappeared and the overall weird dp and dr things I get went away I'd probably live a much more active and enjoyable life! (if dp and dr is what I have) I guess it's hard to tell because there's no visable signs it's inside).

I too get numb patches, I get tingling in my hands sometimes and in my back and face, I get blurry vision and smetimes it also flickers and sometimes I jsut feel weird in my body like it's not working right and I can't sit still because I feel like I'm dying, my eyes feel like they're not working properly, my arms do, my legs get weak alongside my arms, I feel like my breathing isn't controlled by me, like my heart is either going too fast or too slow :/

That last post is also exactly like what i go thru!!!!! i get every single one of those symptoms!!! the whole dont feel in control of my breathing and the eyes not working properly, my goddddd i have this everyday :( my body itself feels weird alllllll the time, its so hard to explain isnt it but i know exactly what u mean!!! i also get flickers and visual problems every day, i cant focus on sumthing for too long or it makes me feel kinda weird, and i have to constantly readjust my vision/eyes. Its so odd. Ive kinda come to the conclusion thats its one of three things:

* My Medication - Reason: its a side effect of SSRI's.
    * Some brain disease, like MS - Reason: A symptom of this.
    * Anxiety - Reason: Also a symptom of this!

So... what do i think?? im 90% sure its anxiety... it always is. I was suffering severe DP back in march CONSTANTLY. (with dizziness too). I had a ct brain scan and it was perfectly normal :/ something i did not expect if im honest. So really... I do think its anxiety. HOWEVER, i have stupidly googled and apparently CT's dont show diseases, they just show things like stroke/tumours... well im glad i know i dont have either of those two things....but now im pushing for an MRI.. coz this would show MS... but the thing is... i do have alot of symptoms of MS however I have read countless threads from people on MedHelp who atually suffer with MS and my goddd... the pain they go through... and numbness isnt just numbness like what we get, i mean, their numbness is like actual numbness where they physically cannot move their limb... and apparently when u have a brain disease like that then u would know about it. With anxiety symptoms, they arent as powerful (although we may think that they are, their no where near...) so i say lets just pull together and try our best to accept its a horrible symptom of anxiety and that its nothing serious and wont harm us. The more i got used to it back in March the better i got and the more it went away! The arm thing has only just started happening the last month or so though, so thats why im seeing a neuro, coz it freaks me out and i just wanna know for sure thats its not something going on in my spine or brain rly... im 90% sure theres not but i just neer that confiemation... oh and yes my heart is always going rly fast, or normal rate just pounding HARD out of my chest but not actually going fast... or its rlyyyy slow :( i hate it! i get ectopics but have had tonnes of ecg's all normal. Im getting a heart scan on tuesday, coz of family history. sure it will be all clear as expected but i just need to know for sure... anxiety is no end i hate it.... i had 8 sessions of cbt and totally relapsed after 2 months :( but it did work! and thats what i need to remember! its re-training ur brain! so hard but it is possible oh, and the thing i learnt is to FORCE YOURSELF to be more active! When i get what i call 'the arm thing' (lol!!!) I make myself get in my cart and drive... it soon passes, sometimes it doesnt... but i make myself do something ACTIVE. coz have u found that sitting around makes it escalate and just get worse??????? coz it does for me!!!! Uve gotta fight this, coz if u dont, it will never go away and i dont wanna spend my whole one chance at life in a state of anxiety, i want to beat this and i will, i done it before and il do it again! hope ur ok x

7. Re: Seizures or Depersonalization? Help!

Hello everybody,
    Wether you listen to an 18 year old that is up too you entirely. But i'll share my experience, a year ago i started experiencing panic attacks, and ever since i'd panic about everything, always thinking the worst is going to happen, always thinking something is wrong with me, heart attack, appendix, i have had repetitive visits to accident and emergency when their has been no evidence that anything is wrong with me. It was me looking on google everytime i got a pain anywhere in my body. Due to my build up of stress, which i didn't realise i had until now, 2 months ago i had a hugeee panic attack at night time, i was shaking, felt hot rushes in my head, could sit still, my body was trembling i was so frightened, i thought i was going to die, or should i rephrase that i beliefed i was going to die. I felt really unreal and like i was dream it was terribly weird i couldn't explain it.
    I looked up my symptoms on the internet of depersonalization, it did nor put me at ease, i went to the doctors the next day told him how i felt he was telling me it was anxiety, i didn't believe him, for a month and half i didn't believe anything anyone said i felt so weird and unreal it was terryfying, no1 understood me. I seen a psychological mental health practitioner once a week 5 times for 30 minutes each session and i didn't think she was doing anything for me i was saying to her "how do i know this is even real" then i started getting all these negative thoughts which really made me feel worse, it was always what if this what if that.. Jennie the mental health practitioner helped me identify my thoughts, and my last visit with her was yesterday, my anxiety was really high when i first seen her, was at 27 points in 4 sessions it is now at 9, i have really improved. I am now on anti-depressants, citalopram 10mg, it has took me a month to get courage to even swallow one tablet i was scared of what they might make me like, but it was my anxiety taking over. I am having now CBT therapy which i hope willl make me better. I have become more in control of my thoughts but still awaiting for the eeffect froem the medication which has only 5 days since i started them. I still get really disturbing thoughts, like, what am i? Whats life all about? How did i get here? Am i human? vWhat is human? But then again all i think is, If i didn't have a panic/anxiety disorder would i be having these thoughts the answer is no... neither would your... ! Hope this helped.

Not to sound redundant here, but depersonalization IS a symptom of anxiety. It is a time when your mind is literally on overload and it "shuts down" temporarily as a defense mechanism. It is doing what it is supposed to do under the circumstances. What you end up doing is ruminating over your symptoms -- finding the solution to them, not accepting them. It is easier said than done, but the more you give these symptoms power, the worse they will be, and they will last longer. Next time you feel that way, take a moment and say to yourself, "This is just anxiety, I'm going to be ok, I will not give it power." I've had to start doing that or else I would literally go crazy. You are fine. Believe in yourself, not your thoughts. Hugs, Wiskers ~

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

hun sorry u are feeling so bad ive felt like this bad on and off for 1 year and its awfull feeling i wish i could help u get passed it :( as i havent found a way out yet myself but i do know that it will pass when u stop worrieing over and and get plenty of sleep no sleep with make it 100000 times worse hun take care i hope u feel better soon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information