Thread: Reassurance... feeling strange

Reassurance... feeling strange

Hi again..

Well I'm on my fourth day of Citalopram, and just looking for some reassurance really. I've read loads of the posts on it already, but just looking for some individual responses.

I feel funny... not any more anxious like some have described, it kinda comes in waves. I'll have a moment of intense anxiety, then I'm o.k. again. Is that normal? Also sometimes I feel like I can't breathe, or like I'm a bit breathless. I'm not sure if I really am, or if I just think I am too. Sleep wise, I've been o.k. and felt more tired than anything. I felt sick and headachy at first, but that seems to be o.k. now. I've also had really bad back pain..could this be because I'm starting to relax and the anxiety is releasing itself?

I'm almost worried that I'm not feeling more anxious because it seems like for most people, they went through hell the first week. I don't feel like that overall, except at times (like now)... but it's not a constant thing. I'm a bit scared that the super anxiety will kick in a few days and I'm terrified!

Sorry to go on.. I think I'm having an anxious, scared moment and am hoping for some reassurance. I feel sad now. :(

Hey Basha,

Everybody reacts differently to side effects, and to be honest as worrying as it is, you have to go with it, and remind yourself its the tablets that are making you feel strange, you are not having a relapse.

Stick with it, hopefully it will be worth it in the end for you!

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Im on a similar med. I didnt get any more anxious and the few minor side effects went fast.

If you feel terrible ever on them and do have bad side effects, there are many more to try as we all feel different on different ones (I had to go thru 2 to find the right one -even tho I felt like giving up).

If the med is right for you (and you wont know for sure for a few weeks at least), your waves will become less and less and you will feel more stable and in control all the time and happier and less anxious more of the time.

Time will tell how well you do with them but most people find they work well. Dont be afraid [}]

Most side effects will go. I will say some give you low blood salt and make you feel funny and I actually have to have a gatorade/powerade a day to keep salts up etc or I feel funny. P.S. The powerade seemed to help the back pain etc too.

Cheers
    Paul

Learning to underreact

Dear Paul and Tracy;

Thank you both so much for your reassuring comments. Today is my fifth day now on the meds, and although I felt slightly anxious this morning, I'm feeling much calmer and able to deal with the side effects.

I won't give up on them yet, as I think they will be the best thing for me for right now. Thanks for your positive comments, help and advice..it really helped.

xxx

Hi Basha
    These are the side effects I had when starting Citalapram;
    Drowsy, lethargic, no energy
    palpitations
    feeling that I couldn't take a good breath
    nausea
    vivid dreams
    tingling sensations
    headaches (not severe)

It has all passed so please don't worry. A good tip which my psychiatrist gave me when you can't take a deep breath is to breath out - not in - just blow out long and deep as if you are blowing up a balloon. Try it - it does work.

Take care.
    Yvonne

Y Goble

Hi Basha,

Just thought i would add my two cents! [:I]

I recently started on 20mg of citalopram, been 2 weeks and a day now. The waves thing is something ive been feeling. To begin with i felt tired and sick with a sense of being aware of my body, tha has shifted now into less sickness, more of a sense of not being on medication, but waves of anxiety. All part of the process i guess! Let me know how you get on, as reading this helped me lots as well.

its funny how knowing your not the only one really does help.

Take care.

Hi Bluebug!

Well I've been on them now for nearly two weeks, and most of the side effects seem to have faded. But now I don't really feel like I'm on anything..just feel kinda normal with a panic every once and a while, but they are definitely less than they were. I still feel tired in the day, but I've heard it can take a month or so before they fully take effect. I've also started counselling this week..was very weird to talk to somebody solidly for an hour just about my feelings. Felt drained afterwards though!

How are you getting on?

Basha xx

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
    -Sydney Smith

Thread Information