Thread: Ativan Causing Depression/My Story

Ativan Causing Depression/My Story

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Just thought I'd share my story so anyone who has similar experiences can give advice.

I've always been an anxious person, as well as quiet and introverted. However, at around January I started having panic attacks at a scale I have never experienced before. From then on, I've experienced anxiety basically whenever I'm around strangers, sometimes even my friends, and areas in which there is no escape and situations in which an outcome is not known to me.

I went to my doctor at around the end of February, and he prescribed me Ativan (Lorazepam) to help deal with panic attacks, and said that at the very least just knowing that I have them would calm me down.

The medication works in the sense that it is effective in getting rid of my anxiety for a few hours, however more recently whenever I use it it has been making me depressed and I feel so low that all I want to do is cry.

I recently just got a great summer job with a company that will provide great work experience for me in the long run, however it requires leadership and responsibility that is causing my anxiety to reappear and during my first two days I've been anxious for pretty much the full 8 hours. Also, on the social part of my life, I can't help but believe I'm shutting out my friends and everyone that cares about me by sometimes preferring to stay in my safety zone.

So here is where I need advice. I've been thinking maybe this new pressure situation may benefit me in the long run in that I'll eventually become more confident in myself and feel less anxious as I get out of my safety zone more often. Should I stay with this mentality or should I go back to my doctor and seek out new meds and/or treatment options?

Thanks in advance for anyone who read this and offers advice, it means a lot.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Ativan Causing Depression/My Story

Welcome to NMP Enzo.

I think you have the right attitude. We do need to leave our comfort zones otherwise we'll never face our fears and deal with them. And as you rightly say, it can only make us stronger and help us grow. At the same time though, going to your doctor and talking over the situation re your meds is also wise. Meds will only serve to support us on our journey; they won't do all the work for us.

Ativan is really a short-term solution. There are meds that would suit you a lot better in the long-term and benzos are known to cause depression. Have a chat with your doctor and keep your positive attitude going.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi Enzo,

I think you are totally doing the right thing by facing into these responsibilities. Anxiety is an awful thing but somehow even though we are suffering we still can manage to get through things.

I have suffered for some years now and hold down a very responsible job, some days the anxiety lingers all day but some how I manage to get through so I know it can be done...afterwards you wonder how the hell did you do it and you cant imagine feeling as you had (if that makes sense). The wierdest thing I find is that you just appear "normal" to everyone else (thankfully) yet inside OMG!!!

I wouldn't rely too much on the lorezepam as they can be addictive, but if your symptoms continue then have a chat with your GP.

Take care and I wish you well.

JO.xx

Hi and welcome to NMP Paige x

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, it means a lot to me. Just thought I'd update you on my progress so far if anyone is interested.

To put it blunt, I'm going through a roller coaster. Since starting my new job, during the first week I'll admit I was an anxious mess, however as I got familiar with the surroundings I still felt anxious, but was able to cope with it and was able to collect my thoughts and think straight. In other words, it turned from me sitting at my desk with a rapid palpitating heart and panicking for 8 hours to being calmer yet still quite anxious.

Within the past week, however, I've started to have symptoms of depression, which I know can go hand in hand with anxiety.

Last weekend, I visited my girlfriend, and not knowing her family too well I was pretty anxious most of the time, however I didn't want to take any Ativan because I'd rather be anxious than feel depressed from the medication (which happens a lot when I take it). I managed to get through the week, and felt proud of myself for getting through the week on my own.

Today, however, going into work, I felt miserable from depression and I felt the same kind of low that I feel after taking Ativan. At around 10am, I felt a sort of pressure feeling in my head and felt like I wanted to cry which in turn caused anxiety because I didn't want to cry in front of my new coworkers, especially since I'm a guy. By around 2pm I felt better, but by 4pm the depression and pressure feeling returned.

The thing is that I'd understand it and be comfortable with it a lot more if I knew what I was depressed about, but instead it's like a physical feeling that is making me sad. I'd much prefer being anxious than have the feeling I felt today.

It's just so frustrating, I just want to feel normal again.

This medication did not work at all to control my nausea. It made me intensely sleepy, but I was still nauseated.

Last edited by marlena21; 21-11-11 at 13:57.

Well. Here goes. I'm new to this and I just know if I don't talk it out I'm eventually going to go insane and end up hurting myself. I'm in my third year of college right now. I've always been confident, outgoing, athletic and healthy. I loved life with a passion and always had a smile on my face. I never had a problem with anxiety or any of that. That all changed this summer when I suffered from a massive panic attack, which I don't even know how it was triggered. For a week I couldn't breathe and I thought I was losing my mind. Then my doctor prescribed me Ativan. With the love and support of my family I've been able to learn to cope with my new found anxiety, but every once in a while it will flair up and I can't control it. Recently, I feel like I've been suffering from depression, just sad knowing that I'll never be normal and healthy again, and even though I know everyone is trying to help, I feel like people think I'm starting to lose my mind. The Ativan does wonders for my anxiety but it also makes my head feel weird and spacey, and I think it's been starting to give me depression. As I said, this a new experience to me and it comforts me to know that there are others suffering from similar things:

Thread Information