Thread: Appetite

Appetite

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has been like this ? I have been suffering anxiety for a while now, but just lately my appetite is a big fat zero. I am ok while i'm cooking or if my husband cooks, but thats until my meal is in front of me and then i just can't eat it, and sometimes i feel quite sick at the thought of eating (both of us are quite good cooks!)

I just don't understand it, and now i'm worrying that this is to do with something else other than the anxiety...my medication hasn't change, so what could be the problem?

I have been feeling tired over the last few days too, should i bother my GP?

Thanks
    Trish

Hi Trish,
    I've suffered from anxiety for a year now, started getting better a couple of months ago but basically didn't eat for the first 10 months of my panic.
    My boyfriend used to go to great lengths to cook my my favourite foods etc to get me to eat. Even if i felt hungry, as soon as I saw the plate of food in front of me it would put me off and i wouldnt be able to eat.
    I don't know why this is, think it was something to do with putting pressure on myself to eat, worrying about what a waste it would be if i didn't etc. I also felt like my boyfriend was watching me, hoping i'd eat it all and it added to the pressure.
    I just made sure i had lots of dried fruit and nuts handy at all times so whenever i felt even 1% peckish, i could have a little snack.
    Take care,
    Henri

Hi Trish

I know wot its like to have no appetite i have had anxiety for 4yrs now, and when i have it my appetite just goes i lost loads of weight because of it couldn't eat a thing. I was told to eat little meals and i couldn't even eat them i just about kept soup down it did last for ages thought i would never b able to eat properly, but eventualy my weight started to get better when my anxiety started to lift. I did eat a lot of fruit and plenty to drink.

Now when i don't have anxiety i eat fine i have put my weight back on, but i know when it does come back my weight will b all over the place. I went to my GP about it and he just told me it's anxiety so i'm sure it's the same for you.

Try and eat light meals if u can it may work for you and make sure you get plenty to drink.

take care
    linda xx

One of my biggest triggers for anxiety and panic attacks is feeling nauseated or sick to my stomach, so it's pretty common for me to lose my appetite when I'm already rather anxious. It gets to teh point where I'm even afraid to drink enough because I don't want to fill my stomach and upset it. I'm also afraid of being overfull and then vomiting because of it, so I have a hard time eating large meals. My medication is probably not making things better, since it's caused my acid reflux to flare up again and my throat is pretty raw.

The best thing you can do is to eat small meals of somewhat bland but appealing foods. I love mashed potatos, so I try to eat those when I'm feeling anxious and don't have much of an appetite because of it. Also, take a multivitamin if you aren't already. You may be tired because you haven't been eating enough, or vice versa. A lot of times the two can be related.

I thought I should mention that I am underweight and have been most of my life, and luckily have NOT lost much weight due to my lack of appetite. Just eat small, healthful meals.

Thank you all for your replies...I have been to see my GP today and she has said that loss of appetite can be caused by hightened anxiety. She also wants to check a urine sample in case i have a water infection as this could be a cause (i didn't know that!). I also have slight oral thrush due to using inhalers often, so this too could cause it, so she says.

I feel better now from your replies and seeing my GP...and hey, losing a bit of weight won't hurt me, as i have plenty to lose!

Many thanks

Trish

Thread Information