Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine and Weight Gain

Mirtazapine and Weight Gain

I have been A/D med free for a couple of years and preferred to rely on CBT and Meditation due to numerous side-effects of the pharmaceutical meds.

My psychiatrist has urged me to try this med. I have researched it and see about 50% of users experience weight gain of 7% body mass or more.

I'd be interested to hear from other users about how I can be one of the 50% that does not pile on weight or any tips / warnings from those that experienced weight gain about carbohydrate / sugar cravings or whatever leads to the hazard of weight gain.

Re: Mirtazapine and Weight Gain

you just have to exercise self control and keep getting exercise im afraid matey, though you have to weigh up the pros and cons, ask yourself, will putting on a little weight be so bad if you benefit from this medication?

Hi I gained half a stone which being over-weight in the first place was not good but it just happened and I cant say that I was pigging out either.

For me it was take the meds and feel better mentally and worry about the weight issue later on once well again.

I am still trying to get to that stage...I take three steps forward and then two back so on the rocky road still but the meds have helped me back to work and at least able to cope with the day to day issues of life and have a really good nights sleep.

The decision has to be from yourself.

Take care.
    Jo.

I have only been taking it for 6 or 7 weeks but I haven't gained a single pound! So you might be one of the lucky ones... I do generally eat healthily and do a moderate amount of exercise but for about the first month on the mirtazapine I felt quite ill (got plenty of other side effects!) so didn't do much exercise at all - still no weight gain. So don't worry about it too much - you might not have a problem with this side effect at all and if you do, I'm sure that eating healthily and keeping active will at least minimise it.

Thanks for these replies - I see it's the 50/50 some do and some don't. I will be very careful to ensure my diet remains the same and be alert to cravings for carbs and sugar (which may not happen). I have been on many meds over the years and am consenting to this one because they have found I have too much histamine and too little of the neurotramsmitters (from a blood test). I just wasn't alert to press for details of the potential side effects of this med and thought I'd check it out. Let's hope it works eh? Looks like I might not be needing Zopiclone for helping me sleep.

Hi Antidopes,

No you wont need zopiclone cos the mirtazipine will take care of the sleep issues...I have no trouble getting off to sleep now and sleep for a good 8-9 hours every night!!!

The side effects I suffered were drowsiness/drunkness feeling heavy feeling for the first few days but it does settle. I was sick from work as I couldn't of coped going in feeling as I did. So its best you cancel any plans you have etc just incase you feel the side effects.

You might be lucky and not suffer. Who knows!!!

Wishing you well anyhow and any support you need we will be here for you.

Take care.
    JO.xx

Hi Ive been on them for nearly 2 years and found it basically enhanced my sweet tooth. I wouldnt just want to eat 1 cake, I would want more. And this is so not like me! I did put on weight,but I was doing my degree and eating chocolates at my desk, so it might have been that too lol!
    I reduced my dose last year and had started to lose weight, but then my anxiety kicked off again so Im now on 45mgs. Ive actually got a fear of being sick so I dont eat much now, so it kinda proves that you can control the increased appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
    I have been A/D med free for a couple of years and preferred to rely on CBT and Meditation due to numerous side-effects of the pharmaceutical meds.

My psychiatrist has urged me to try this med. I have researched it and see about 50% of users experience weight gain of 7% body mass or more.

I'd be interested to hear from other users about how I can be one of the 50% that does not pile on weight or any tips / warnings from those that experienced weight gain about carbohydrate / sugar cravings or whatever leads to the hazard of weight gain.
    i am on a 15mg dose of this tablet at the moment

i asked my doctor about weight gain and the tablets, she said to me that its not the tablets that cause the weight gain its one the side effects that causes it by increasing your appetite in some cases, she said to me aslong as i stick to eating a balanced diet like i do, it should be fine and to watch if i am craving certain foods, which i have noticed i am doing but i am trying to be sensible about it

what i have noticed though is that i am not hungry during the day and hardly eat anything but when its night time or early hours in the morning all i want to do is eat , so i have been eating at weird times which i know probably does not help my metabolism as i also do not sleep well either

Hi Antipodes,

I was curious about the blood test you had for the histamines & neurotransmitters? Can you explain some more please?

Thanks

Bubble

Not sure you saw this Antipodes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information