Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do meds stop working?

Why do meds stop working?

When I became "ill" with anxiety I was offered a med which for a short while helped ease my symptoms and lifted my mood but then the benefits would wear off which meant I'd go back to my doctor who would up my dose to the limit until that too lost it's effect so I would then try another med and so on. It meant that I tried a variety of meds, both the old such as diazepam and the new such as prozac, sertraline etc. Eventually I decided I'd had enough of them and wanted to try to go without which on the whole I've managed except when I lost my dog around Christmas when I felt I needed something just to help me through the loss as he felt like my best friend who kept me going.

Anyway, picture this...

One day you get up feeling fine and go to open the front door when you are suddenly confronted by a lion staring at you. Immediately you feel terrified because you fear he'll eat you. You start shaking, sweating, you feel you can't breathe and start to panic.

The lion then runs away but you decide to go and see your doctor because you feel so shaken up and afraid that you feel you need something to make the anxious feelings go away. The doctor then prescribes some meds and after you've got used to them you feel much better.

One day the lion returns but you don't feel so frightened by it because you're now taking your meds and you know now that the lion won't harm you anyway, and again he runs away.

After a few weeks, one morning you open the door again only to be confronted by a big spider! Again you feel terrified because unlike the lion, you're not sure what it'll do to you. Maybe he'll spin a web to eat you later so you start worrying and this worry gets so intense that you start feeling really anxious again. However, the spider crawls away and doesn't bother you. You then think to yourself you're now taking meds so you can't understand why you felt so ill with the spider when they worked ok previously with the lion? Maybe the meds have stopped working?

You decide to go back to your doctor who advises increasing the dose to the maximum and you go back feeling relieved that this will now stop the symptoms.

The next morning you open the door and yet again there's the spider waiting for you. However, you're now on your increased dose and you know the spider will crawl away anyway so your anxiety doesn't feel as bad as before.

After a few more weeks, you find yourself confronted by a swarm of bees! You feel terrified they'll sting you and all your anxious feelings return. Again you think to yourself, you're taking these meds but they seem to have lost their effect so you end up back at the doctors who this time advises changing the meds to a new type.

You go home feeling content that you've got things settled and maybe these meds will be more longlasting and suit you better. However, within a few weeks you open the door to find the lion, the spider and the whole swarm of bees there to greet you...and you start to panic!...and thinking will it never end!?!

Now think of the lion as stress at work, the spider as stress at home and the swarm of bees as all your worries and intrusive thoughts then combine them all together and they create "fear".

We are sensitive people which means we're sensitive to new fears. Anxiety is triggered by fear, worry and too much stress whether emotional or in our daily lives. When pressures build up too much for us to cope with, anxiety results so we see the doctor who prescribes our meds. However, every time we encounter a new fear or fears, we start worrying and this worry then triggers more anxious feelings so in effect, it's not that the meds have stopped working but instead a reaction to new fears that we are still sensitive to because the underlying causes have never been addressed. These underlying causes would be such things as lack of confidence and lack of self-belief in our own abilities which create self-doubt and therefore worry and fear so that every time we encounter new fears or new stresses, we produce new worries which trigger our anxious symptoms. Anxiety though loves to deceive us into thinking it must be the meds that have stopped working so it misleads us into creating a cycle of meds, increasing doses and trying new ones.

Finding a longlasting "cure" isn't straightforward as every individuals anxieties differ with various fears and various causes so it takes a package of methods to learn how to cope and to find ways to ease pressures.

Anyway, I know it's a bit basic and doesn't cover everything but I hope it makes some sense.

Re: Why do meds stop working?

Bill,It makes a whole lot of sense to me,another wonderful post for my collection.Thankyou xx
    Love Rhonda xx

Bill This Post is very good. And it makes a whole lot of sense! I have experienced similar when meds have stopped working and I couldn't figure out why. Thanks for this insight xxxx

Hi Bill,

Good analogy. Apparently what's actually happening in your brain is that the bad experience gets "printed" on the hippocampus so you're instantly on the alert in situations that have made you fearful before.

That's why you have to gradually "unlearn" the perceived threat until it no longer bothers you.

We all know that can be easier said than done. But it CAN be done.

Hi Bill

your post makes lots of sense, just because we take meds, it doesnt mean you wont feel fear at sometime in your life, its how you deal with and like you said addressing the old fears. I have been thinking why have my meds stopped working, instead of looking at what caused the panic attack. Which is what i am now doing with my counsellor and looking at solutions and coping mechanisms.
    Great post again. have a good day!
    take care lynne x

Hi Bill,

Brilliant post, just describes everything in a nutshell and makes perfect sense.

Loved it
    Jo.xx

Bill

Great post!

I may see if I can include that in the website pages somewhere if that is ok with you?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

What a wonderful post Bill...so insightful and full of hope. Hope is so important.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Of course Nicola. You're very welcome to use it if you think it's of help to others. I'm just glad to be of help.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Very good analogy Bill. I've known for a long time now that medication or any "outside" intervention cannot solve my problems. They can help me deal with things more easily but on their own they're pretty useless.

The problem is that too many doctors (influenced by Big Pharma) push these meds as a cure for mental illness. Take a pill and you'll get better. If that was the case none of us would be here. Most of us are on meds of some nature yet we all still suffer ups and downs and relapses/blips etc.

Having read thousands of personal experiences, I think that psychiatric meds at some point do alleviate mental illness. But the problem is that when the person starts to feel better they don't usually look at dealing with the root-causes. They think they're somehow cured. But the root-causes remain and as you say when another crisis comes along, problems multiply. And so increasing the meds and so on...

Meds in my view are the means not the end to solving our problems.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information