Thread: Existential Anxiety

Existential Anxiety

Hello people, I'm new to this forum, and I decided to join because I've been suffering way too much with existential anxiety lately. I feel like I can't live anymore, nothing makes sense, everything seems to be meaningless, the whole existence.. I suffer from Depersonalization/Derealization disorder, and I think that's what actually created this existential phobia.

I'd be really appreciated if you people could share your stories (if you also struggle with this) , and obviously if you have any tips on how to cope with this, feel free to post

Maybe I should also mention that I'm not a believer, not because I decided to, it's just because DP/DR took away all my beliefs, and I just can't believe anything even if I try to, so religion wouldn't really help.

Re: Existential Anxiety

Bump :'(

I can identify with this. With the state of the world and what people do to each other, plus the knowledge that the end of your life is a total certainty, it is pretty hard to see a point sometimes.

I like to think of the overwhelmingly enormous odds against my existence, and that THAT is the point. Think of how unlikely and incredible it is that you were even born and that you now exist... what a chance you've been given! what an incredible gift!

Also, not sure if you've ever read any Albert Camus? He was an existentialist but he believed that just because everything is futile, it doesn't mean we have to be miserable! He believed in living a sensual life, enjoying the physical sensations of life for the simplicity of what they are.

Try not to think too much. Do some exercise, feel yourself in your body rather than in your mind.

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    I can identify with this. With the state of the world and what people do to each other, plus the knowledge that the end of your life is a total certainty, it is pretty hard to see a point sometimes.

I like to think of the overwhelmingly enormous odds against my existence, and that THAT is the point. Think of how unlikely and incredible it is that you were even born and that you now exist... what a chance you've been given! what an incredible gift!

Also, not sure if you've ever read any Albert Camus? He was an existentialist but he believed that just because everything is futile, it doesn't mean we have to be miserable! He believed in living a sensual life, enjoying the physical sensations of life for the simplicity of what they are.

Try not to think too much. Do some exercise, feel yourself in your body rather than in your mind.

Gareth
    "Feel yourself in your body rather than in your mind" , that's exactly what I need to do.. I've read that somewhere and I thought to myself "Woah, this sentence pretty much tells me how to solve my problems" , but it's not as easy as it seems..

As for Albert Camus, no, but I'll check it out even though I don't really like reading

Thanks a lot for your reply

Hi existence,

i know exactly how you feel as i used to be the same and still am a little bit.

i believe you really need to generate meaning in your life for it to seem worthwhile. I think the first step is identifying your values, what you live for and what you want your life to be about. this is covered alot in the book mentioned in my signature below.

Quote Originally Posted by Idstain View Post
    Hi existence,

i know exactly how you feel as i used to be the same and still am a little bit.

i believe you really need to generate meaning in your life for it to seem worthwhile. I think the first step is identifying your values, what you live for and what you want your life to be about. this is covered alot in the book mentioned in my signature below.
    Yeah..it's hard though, since I don't even leave the house, anxiety takes care of keeping me inside.

As for the book, I've just acquired a mindfulness & acceptance guide, but then forr depersonalization and not anxiety.

Have you ever felt a strange kind of unreal anxiety that just made you think how weird life was? Have you ever felt that you were part of some gigantic board game? Have you ever gone dizzy wondering what was there before the universe was created in the big bang or made by god?

To question the above is quite normal, but to worry about it, or have it bring on negative physical reactions, is not. dizziness, spacyness, nausea, panic, hyperventilation, vertigo and depression.

The best therapy seems to be to accept it, and and keep saying to yourself “This is only existential anxiety and it can’t do anything to me.” Also I have found Mindfulness Meditation to be particularly good when it comes to simply letting anxious thoughts be there.

you are not the only one to struggle with the meaning of life. that's a question for the ages, really. we all want to mean something and feel that this isn't the only thing there is...

Short and sweet: it will pass, just live life to the full and you won't have a problem with it. I was like this a couple of months ago and now I am SO much better. i learned to live outside of myself, and with other people.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thread Information