Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to panic attacks; breathlessness, left arm

New to panic attacks; breathlessness, left arm

I had my very first panic attack (self-diagnosed; the emergency room doctor later concurred) on January 19. I was sitting in a lecture hall at the college that I attend when, without warning, my mouth became completely dry, my vision blurred, I couldn't swallow and my heart began to race. I tried unsuccessfully to fend off the panic - I was absolutely convinced that I was having a heart attack - so I sought help from a secretary who dialed "911". By the time paramedics arrived (less than three minutes later) my heart rate has subsided considerably and I was somewhat less anxious. The paramedics monitored my heart which - much to my surprise - was "normal" and my blood pressure (119/79) was descirbed as "perfect". They even tested me for diabetes! (Negative)

I muddled through the remainder of the day. A few more days passed, and, in some ways, I almost began to forget about the attack.

The early morning hours of February 7, however, were not pleasant. I had experienced some intermittent bouts of breathlessness (uncomfortable at times, but not overwhleming) during the preceding weekend, and, when Monday rolled around, I began to obsess about my breathing. I also took note of some stiffness / soreness in my left arm, and, once again, I thought that these maladies were heart-related.

I woke up at 1:30 a.m. with terrible indigestion (I seldom have any digestive problems). Almost immediately, my heart began to race and I began to shake uncontrollably. Sitting up helped, and, after managing to reduce my heart rate, I decided to try to return to bed. Moments later, my heart took off like mad! I dressed quickly and asked my 17-year-old son (I'm 41) to drive me to the emergency room; about 4.5 miles from my home.

I was admitted to the hospital, where I was connected to a heart monitor. I was also given a battery of blood tests, including a test for thyroid problems. After three hours of monitoring, my heart was pronounced "healthy and strong". Aside from a .02% deficiency in potassium, my blood test revealed no health woes (no anemia, etc.)

Now, a little more than a week later, I find myself obsessing about the accuracy of the heart monitor. I, much to my chagrin, also become breathless (not too serious) every time I think about the initial panic attack, the possibility of undiagnosed heart or lung problems, etc. Feelings of derealization come and go, and I can't sleep very well.

My question: Quite simply, how do you cope? I'm planning a 2,000, cross-country car trip for June, and I'm already becoming concerned about being 150 miles from the nearest hospital in the event that pass out or go completely off the wall! Any suggestions?

Thanks for you input,

Le Ann Martin

Hi Le Ann.

How do we cope? Hmm, that's a diffult one, but maybe the best way to cope with it all is to keep telling ourselves "Oh, its you again Mr Anxiety, only you again and not my heart etc." Its hard one to get into our skulls, but that is a way to cope with it.

Another way is to prove to ourselves that we can survive the fear. I'd like you to enjoy that road trip in June, so why not set up a plan so that you know you'll be OK far away from a hospital? Not sure about the practicalities of that in your personal life, but what about taking off for a weekend to a remote area and face your fears before worrying about those same fears spoiling your big road trip?

Do you know why you now have panic attacks - has there recently been a big event in your life? Have you been unsettled in your mind for a while? Knowing what sparks them is part of the understanding process which reinforces your mind that these pains are anxiety and nothing more.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Lee Ann

Welcome to the forum. What you are describing is typical of panic and you may find it helpful to read the First Steps and Symptoms articles.

As Ray said, preparation is key and doing all you can to start to tackles these fears now will help when the trip in June takes place.

The information about Health Anxietycould also be helpful.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

Lee Ann,

*every time I think about the initial panic attack* What does this tell you..

Much of physical symtoms are caused by how we think about things.

If we think scared - we feel scared. A movie we were scared ofbut as soon as it fiished we can rationalise that it was just a movie but it still brings up physical feelings of a racing heart etc.

CBT teaches you to address and change these though patterns that can spiral you down to panic.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

hi leanne

you are not alone in this. we will help you all we can, first thing you do is pick yourself up a copy of claire weekes books self help for your nerves and essential help for your nerves. this will demystify alot of your problems

but remember these attacks and worries probably didnt come out of nowhere so perhaps you need to look at those and if you need a friendly ear we are always here.

read the book and go on your trip more clued in to what you are going through

always here
    jackie

Hello.

Everything you have said sounds very familiar

How do we cope? Well I do because I have to. I went through a stage exactly like yours and wherever I went I had to know there was a hospital near by and do you know what...I never needed it.

It is hard to get acceptance but it is all about changing the way you think about your panic attacks. There are some great books and some brilliant pages on here full of advice on how to address the problem.

You can do it and you can enjoy your road trip!

Annie x

What you have been experiencing is almost identical to what I experienced when I had my first attacks. Breathlessness, pounding heart, stiffness in limbs, feeling as if I was 'not there' so-to-speak. I've had attacks on and off for the last 10 years and even though I am used to them now and understand the physiognomy they can still take me unawares!

When you go into adrenaline overdrive (which is all panic attacks are - a rush of adrenaline at an inappropriate time) you will experience the weirdest symptoms, many of which as any of us (end even doctors) will tell you mimic those of most organic diseases - just read through some of the posts on this site and you will see yourself mirrored.

The best thing to do is to educate yourself and take the fear out of your situation. Claire Weekes books (Self-Help for Your Nerves - a series of 3) are a god-send. I still refer to my copies every now again and they are almost disintegrating now. Another very helpful book is one by Shirley Trickett, which explains how panic attacks occur and ways of dealing with them - sorry I've forgotten the title for now (you can probably find this on the Internet).

A little tip concerning hyperventilation (breathlessness caused by overbreathing which you seem to be experiencing): when you feel this coming on, either cup your hands over your mouth and nose - or use a paper bag for the same effect - and slow down your breathing - 3 second breathe in, 5 second breathe out. Breathing in this manner helps to redress the carbon dioxide levels in your blood which become depleted when you hyperventilate. Take it calmly and you will find that in a few minutes you will be back to normal.

I think by the time you are on the way on your road trip you will start to forget about the possibility of panicking and will be so distracted that you won't even think about where the nearest hospital is. I've been using these methods for the last 6 years whilst travelling back and forwards from England to France and have managed reasonably well - and I'm agoraphobic!!!

Calm yourself and down and start reading - education takes the fear out of all this.

I agree with Dorabella on the breathing technique. Always keep a paper bag handy (believe it or not I use a MacDonalds bag!) Breathing back the air in the bag sorts the carbon dioxide out. You'd never think that re-cycling our own breath would stop us from hyperventilating would you! I think hyperventilating and the shakes are the 2 worst symptoms for me and I was scared to death when I went on holiday and didn't know where the local hospital was, but like most people will tell you, I wouldn't have needed a hospital; it was just in my thoughts because we fear the worst and have to re-train our thoughts and turn the negatives into positives. We will not pass out through a panic attack, we won't have a heart attack because our ECG was perfectly fine and all the little niggly pains down our left hand side are part and parcel of panic and anxiety attacks. Have a great trip, Les

Hi Lee Ann

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum.

Nicola

Welcome Le Ann!!

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information