Thread: Right, who can convince me its not a tumor....Breathing and lump in throat/chest

Right, who can convince me its not a tumor....Breathing and lump in throat/chest

Hi
    I have posted previously about the same problem but I used to be able to put this into perspective and 'knew' that they were anxiety symptoms.

I have been getting the 'lump in throat' feeling and short of breath for about 3 weeks again but this time I seem to be convincing myself that I have got a growth or lung disease or something! Over last few weeks I have been getting shooting pains in my throat/ear....can anxiety really cause this? I guess I already know the answer....I remember having same symptoms years ago and I am still here! I just need reassurance I think!

I have recently had bad chest, cough, cold etc and went to the docs. He said its a chest infection but my chest sounded clear, I also have fluid in my ears. He felt my neck and said everything felt normal.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Re: Right, who can convince me its not a tumor....Breathing and lump in throat/chest

Re: Right, who can convince me its not a tumor....Breathing and lump in throat/chest

HI Mushroom

I don't think it is necessarily anxiety causing the symptoms but anxiety will definitely make you think the worst every time!

If you have had a chest infection irritating symptoms can linger for quite a while, even if you have had antibiotics..it's not a sign of lung disease or anything sinister, it's just what our bodies do I'm afraid!

I'm asthmatic, quite severely so and I had an infection the week before last..I'm still coughing and wheezing but know that it is just remnants and will pass with time.

As for the pains in your ear, I would have thought that the fluid could have a part to play in this, maybe causing a build up in pressure? Again not serious, but annoying and uncomfortable.

No magic words of wisdom but I hope this has put your mind at rest that it is nothing serious.

if you had the same symptoms years ago then you know its anxiety lol and yes - i too have felt like i could not breathe/had lump in the throat etc with anxiety. perhaps the physicall illness reminded you of the old symptoms and has brought them back - just accept and float through them - you will be fine x

right now i bet no one could convince you its you telling your self this if it was only that easy to tell our selfs diffrent loli no i am just the same its easy to ytell my self a bad thing find it so hard to tell my self the good side but you will in the end relise its not a tumor you might even find somthing else to replace it with thats not so scarey take care lv trish xx

every morning when i awake and the feelings of panic/anxiety swamp my brain my arms feel like they are going to....well i cannot explain but they kind of go numb...i think...oh my god....i am going to have a stroke!!!!!!!!!!
    but, i now tell myself its my body reacting to the panic/anxiety.
    mushroom it will be ok xxxx take care xxxx

The lump sensation in your throat is clinically known as Globus Hystericus and is due to action of the vagus nerve upon the larnyx musculature. Understand that this is a sensation only and your airway is not being compromised. This is indeed a very common symptom among persons experiencing significant anxiety.

Feeling short of breath is actually due to shallow respiration that leads to subtle changes in the blood gases, which can actually increase levels of anxiety and feelings of mild delrealization. Again, a common presentation in persons with generalized anxiety.

Of note, however, is that upper respiratory inflammation with persistent cough can produce sigificant irritation of the mucous linings of the bronchia and trachea to the extent that it might take several weeks or more to properly heal. During that period, patients often describe what feels like something stuck in their throat. You can use sore throat lozenges to help defray the sensation until the symptoms resolve.

You'll be fine. Your symptoms are absolutely not suggestive of the presence of any type of space-occupying mass.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Thread Information