They do work - it is worth it

I went through so many side effects

Nausea
    Dizziness
    Heightened Anxiety
    Yawning
    Tight Jaw
    Tiredness

When I started getting these I thought jesus there is no way I can stick to these. But I'm now nearly 3 weeks into them and I am seeing improvements in my life.

I have just got back from a party where I would normally flip and freak out, but I didn't.

I had a good time and just got back home now and I feel great - you have no idea how much of a weight is lifted when you dont have to face anxiety sat infront of people.

I'm so optimistic now.

Re: They do work - it is worth it

WOW you sound so positive that's fantastic news! Its always great to hear about anyone who kicks panic attacks in the goolies lol!!! I had lots of bad symptoms at first too, took about 4 weeks to kick in but they do help. Sadly not to the extent they have doen for you but hey, any help is better than none. I'm really pleased for you, well done!

Oh yeah I still have bad days at the minute and stuff but it was just so good today not feeling it when I was out. Probably jinxed myself but yknow lmao!

hi all ....ive just been prescribed citalipram 20mg for the 1st time as i am strugglin with my anger at the moment i can cry at the drop of a hat and just loose my temper in seconds its awful cos i can just blow at any second....but like every1 else i am soo reluctant to take these tablets due to the side effects im a single mum and need to be on top form for my young 4 yr old....any advice would be great thanks. xx

Hi everydaysastruggle,

Welcome to the forums, ask lots of questions as people on here are fantastically supportive - we are all going through the same struggles and it is really lovely to have others here who know what you are going through and can offer support. When I first came to these forums I panicked due to all the comments about side effects, but someone pointed out that most people post to these kinds of forums when they are struggling. Those who are coping fine have no need for these forums, it is for those of us who struggle! That is why it is good to have Hysteria post back their positive experiences - gives us all hope :-)

Personally I tried 20mg first off but the side effects were too horrendous, so after a week, I tried again but this time on 5mg. After getting over the side effects on that, up'd to 10mg and so on, and now I am on 20mg and have been for a couple of weeks. There are lots of horror stories about the side effects but I certainly found that starting on a low dosage and being patient has worked. I am about 10 weeks in now, and the life change is amazing. It is so worth it. It is not perfect - I still have a lot of issues to work on, but I now have the strength to be able to do so.

All the best
    Rachel

Hi,

Its definatley key to start on a low dose and slowly build up to minimise side effects. Everyone is different so try not to read too many of the horror stories, the benefits of citalopram far out-weight them anyhow.

Take care.
    Jo.xx

Hi Hysteria,

Great news!!! Glad to hear cit is helping.

Side effects were not too bad for me. Even the first 20mg wasn't THAT bad (do-able) but I decided to go a bit easier on my body and take it up a few notches gradually like others here. 10>15>20 within a couple of weeks worked fine for me. Six weeks along and I'm going fine.

Yvonne

Hi There

A huge thank you to all with positive stories who are willing to share! For little ole me on just day 12 still struggling at times with some anxiety and ups and downs during the day (and still going to the loo too "enthusiastically!! lol) it shines a light of hope!

Thanks guys
    Jo
    xx

I posted just because people will rather post how bad things are rather than the good they do.

I cant lie and say they have no side effects because they do (for the majority anyway).

You just have to keep going through it and know that it will be worth it in the end because it will be and I'm finding it out now.

Would you rather have 2 or 3 weeks of anxiety and feel better afterwards

or

Go for the unforeseeable future suffering in what you believe is silence and constantly put things off that you love because of it.

I know which I would rather do and what I picked.

I appreciate what you are saying. I made the decision to go for the meds after a discussion with my doctor and it wasn't easy to pick, but I made the choice that I wanted to beat this. The way I view it is that these will allow me the time and space I need to work through issues and allow counselling etc the time it needs for me to help myself beat this once and for all.

The increased anxiety was and is (only 12 days in) the biggest problem I have, but working towards that light at the end of my tunnel.

Thread Information