Thread: palps or aortic aneurysm?

palps or aortic aneurysm?

I have suffered with palpatations in the past but the ones I seem to be experiencing lately are different. They seem to be in the centre of my upper abdomen and I am now worried that it could be an aortic aneurysm. My dad as one and my auntie who is a nurse once said that you can feel them like an extra pulse in your abdomen. I am on a night shift, I feel dizzy and I keep feeling really cold. I feel generally rubbish.
    Please help, what if it is and it is going to burst. I'm so frightened

2. Re: palps or aortic aneurysm?

I can truly understand what you are going through. I, too, am suffering palps as we speak. I think what you are experiencing is irritation of the vagus nerve. For me, almost 90 per cent of the time, I have a palp, but i also feel it in my belly. Like my upper stomach area. The vagus nerve can sometimes activate after you eat a large meal or lay down in a certain way. Either way, both conditions are benign and I wouldn't worry.

Re: palps or aortic aneurysm?

I used to have palps till i had tests done then they dissapeard! Its a wierd sensation and can understand your worry. Its such a normal thing, its just we pick up on it more sensetively. I am now worrying im having a cerebral anuerysm so again. Can understand the worry. Best thing to do is just ignore then. believe me they do stop when u stop giving them attention. xx

Re: palps or aortic aneurysm?

Hey Pinkie,

I get palps sometimes and can feel them in the upper center of my chest which freaks me out, sometimes I also get aches there. Sometimes I feel the palps in my stomach, etc. What generally happens is that we are so anxious that our nervous system is VERY active so as soon as we experience the palps we experience all the feelings a lot more than the average person would because our body is on the lookout for anything abnormal. This means that we feel the palps in other areas because our nervous system is so sensitive that it can feel the palps from other areas. It isn't dangerous, just uncomfortable and scary. I know it's hard to focus on it at the time of the palps, I freak out even though I know exactly why it is, but it's important to try and convince yourself that it is only palps and nothing dangerous. If it's really different than usual and really bothering you check in with the doctor as they'll know as soon as you describe it whether it is just pals or something more sinister. It sounds to me though just like general palps. Check in with your doctor for some reassurance, but otherwise keep calm and breathe

Thread Information