I'm cutting and pasting most of this from my Introduce Yourself post:

What I've been experiencing on and off for more than 20 years is something I've never heard of anyone else having. I am a singer and when I am faced with an upcoming engagement, usually in the realm of classical singing (I also do musical theatre which is less stressful) I start getting very powerful tensions in my chest below the sternum, which I assume is my diaphragm going into and staying in long-term spasm. This makes breathing an effort and singing very difficult. I have backed off singing opera for this reason but recently decided to give it another try since my technical progress has been tremendous recently with the help of a great teacher. So now I have an audition and a recital scheduled and whammo - got socked with the old tension. Over the years I have tried therapy to minimal effect. About 4 years ago I started seeing an accupuncturist and that, combined with yoga and very good singing/breathing work with my teacher seemed to have solved it for a time. Now it's all come back with a vengeance with these upcoming events. I take good care of myself, exercise (though not enough aerobics), do yoga and dance classes regularly. I am devastated at this latest manifestation. I had felt very very good about my singing and ready to conquer the world. Anyone have any suggestions or info on this kind of thing? Thanks for listening.

michelle