Thread: The Panic Disorder Mantra

The Panic Disorder Mantra

Heres a mantra that may help some of you with panic disorder. Ideally repeat it in the morning just as you wake and at night before you go to bed. If you practice self hypnosis or meditation repeat the mantra in your mind when you reach that very relaxed state.(it sinks in much better when you are relaxed) In most cases it is the fear of the panic attack that fuels the anxiety rise that brings on the panic attack. The mantra is designed to put panic attacks into perspective and help you understand it. If you have any questions about any of the points in the mantra post a reply and I will try to answer as best I can. I hope it helps.

Thanks Martin

The Panic Disorder Mantra

I know that if I have a panic attack it cannot hurt me. It is not dangerous

I know that if I have an panic attack it can’t last long. It will pass

I know that if I have an panic attack it will not affect my ability to drive

I know that if I have an panic attack my blood pressure rises so Im unlikely to faint (low blood pressure causes fainting not high)

I know that if I have an panic attack I will not go mad

I know that if I have an panic attack other people are unaware of it. They are getting on with their own lives

I know that I am able to relax

I know that if I have an panic attack I don’t need to leave because it will pass and I can carry on with what I was doing

I know that negative thoughts encourage panic attacks.

I know that positive thoughts discourage panic attacks

I know that avoidance will encourage panic attacks

I know that exposure to new experiences will make me stronger and reduce panic attacks

I know that today (or tomorrow if evening) I am going to live life to the full with or without panic attacks

Re: The Panic Disorder Mantra

hi how do i stop the feeling of wen i go to bed im not goin to wake up i h8 it xx

Theres no magic formula to stop those sort of thoughts immediately. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very good for helping you recognise these illogical thoughts and rejecting them. It teaches you to look for evidence of what these negative automatic thoughts are suggesting and this helps you reject them.(because there is no evidence that you will not wake up tomorrow) Changing the way you think doesn't happen instantly. It takes time, practice and sometimes a good therapist.
    There is a good book called 'brilliant cognitive behavioural therapy' by Dr Stephen Briers. You don't have to be a therapist to understand it. It is a self help book.

Hi Martin.
    Thank you for those mantras.
    Can i ask what you would suggest i try regarding physical feelings of anxiety that seem to have no reason for being there? For the past 2 weeks i have been suffering with them constantly and they often spiral into panic attacks. Im exhausted and feeling very low. I would love to have something to hold onto at the moment to help?
    Many Thanks XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

...baby steps everyday.

wow Martin what a great mantra! only bad bit is that some people wont bother to read it or may dismiss its content.

fully agree with every word tho,

thetube82

Hi Popsy
    Theres no instant solution but understanding panic disorder really helps.
    The anxiety feelings usually come from negative automatic thoughts. (NATs)These are thoughts that pop into your head and often begin with the words "what if" or "i cant". By learning to recognise these thoughts and then rejecting them and replacing them with postive realistic thoughts your anxiety levels will come down over time. This isn't easy though and people who have had PD over a long period would benefit from seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist.
    Hypnotherapy is also extremely effective at bringing anxiety levels down and helping with NATs. You will need a hypnotherapist who understands Panic Disorder though.
    I believe (and much research supports) that the talking therapies are the best for treating anxiety disorders. Unfortunately NHS waiting lists can be long for CBT and hypnotherapy is rarely available on the NHS.
    Other options are private: For a directory of hypnotherapists go to http://www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/and for CBT practitioners go to www.babcp.com

If you can't afford a therapist there are good books available on CBT (see earlier in thread) and also self hypnosis. These can help but severe or long term cases get most benefit from a trained therapist.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information