Thread: Withdrawal symptoms after only 3 days. Advice please!

Withdrawal symptoms after only 3 days. Advice please!

I hope someone can help. I have been on citalopram for a year now, started off on the 10mg dose which increased to 20mg couple months after I started. But now I have finally decided to come off them completely. Should have gone to the doctors first but thought how bad can it be?
    I now haven't taken any for 3 days, thought I was fine just had a couple of weird vivid dreams, but this morning I went for a drive and felt like a total zombie. Was walking around town to take something back to a shop and suddenly felt so hot and started sweating when i'ts not even that hot and felt like people were staring at me. Now i'm back home and I feel so dissorientated, my head feels like a balloon and I just want to sleep.
    How long does the withdrawal last for? I just took a tablet now just to feel 'normal' again but don't want to take any meds for much longer.

Re: Withdrawal symptoms after only 3 days. Advice please!

im reverse to u,, started taking 10 n upped to 20, bad side effects at min tho im on day 14 hope they kik in soon,, as far as i no cit have half life spam, i seen a post on here abowt life spans on them, but not sure where, x

When I upped my dose from 10 to 20 I found that the side effects didn't last too long so hopefully it wont be much longer for you x

Exclamation Re: Withdrawal symptoms after only 3 days. Advice please!

Hi Kate

Get to your GP!!! Citalopram is not something you can just come off as you will experience discontinuation syndrome, which in effect is withdrawel. The discontinuation process is most definitely something about which you should be consulting with your GP. You need to have a set strategy in place. Please take this serioulsy and get to your doc ASAP.

Cheers

Rich

i was on 20mg per day for just over a year and my doctor advised me to try and come off, taking the tabs on alternate days for 2 wks then nothing.he gave me 7 tabs for this but after 3days i thought to myself i will just take 1 every 3 days but after taking my 3 tab i took no more and i have felt great being back to normal with only the odd vivid dream.this is my 4th week without and i was expecting to be panicky again but this hasnt happened and i am hoping i dont go back to the terrible panic attacks i had before.I think knowing I have 4 tabs in the drawer helps me cope without them.hope this gives others the courage to try and come off them but I know we are all different and what i done might not be ok for others.

Hi Kate 1987,

Up until 2 weeks ago I had been on 60 mg for the past 9 years! These pills are a chaotic mixture of good and evil. Initially I went from being a withdrawn panic strewn depressive who had had 2 nervous breakdowns in 5 years to a confident, sociable enthusiastic joker within about 6 weeks of starting all that time ago. There have been many ups and downs along the way the most stubborn and lasting being massive lack of interest in sex. However, my wife and I managed to have a lovely daughter 6 years ago but was it a hard and difficult process trying! Anyhow, I deviate from the subject. Three months ago I decided to try and come off Citalapram completely and with advice from my GP came off from 60mg to 0 over a 3 month period. I had no real side effects but did have blips into depression and anxiety but these were short lived. I have now been off for 2 weeks and in the last 3 days the side effects have started with a vengance. Cronic brain freeze, giddyness, nausea, a feeling of waking from a deep, deep sleep, hangover etc all are now blighting me from mid afternoon through until 1 - 2 am when sleep arrives and I wake about 6 hours later raring to go! Most unusual for me!!! I am going to get through this period if it kills me. I want to confident me to stay but will not be a slave to meds that cause too many other problems. Get your real life back and please try to ride it out.
    If the original problems persist as to why you were prescribed Citalapram then please seek the advice and help of a knowledgeable and sympathetic GP. Some do exist and can be a real support. Keep trying. Sorry to have waffled on!

Thread Information