Thread: HIV worries...again!

HIV worries...again!

So I'm having a blood test done on wednesday and obviously the wait for the results will be a nasty one.
    I am convinced that I have some underlying disease that hasn't yet been picked up as I have never had a blood test before in my life.

I had sex with somebody I knew a while back, we used condoms both times however.

I am also worried about an incident that occured in a public toilet once. I went to the loo, then got up to wipe as usual and noticed there was blood on the seat, it must have been quite fresh as it rubbed off onto my leg. Now I having been driving myself insane wondering if I have picked up HIV this way! Does the virus die as soon as it hits the air, presuming that blood had been sitting there for at least a few minutes.

I don't even know if it went inside me but I'm sure it went on my leg, despite it being a horrible experience, I'm now worried I must have picked it up.

I have some of the symptoms described online btw!

PLEASE HELP

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: HIV worries...again!

It is anxiety that is fuelling these worries. You become stuck in a groove with the same thoughts over and over again. I'm so glad you are having a blood test because, even although you'll have an anxious wait, it will finally reassure you. Also, if most of us were to look at any illness/disease symptoms on the internet then most of us would have at least one similar symptom!! It's almost NEVER what we fear the most so try and reassure yourself and remember this.

You had protected sex so you are not at risk that way. And yes, HIV is an incredibly weak virus and is rendered ineffective by changes in temperature etc, so it pretty much dies once it hits the air. It definitely doesn't hang around on loo seats even in blood.

Is your blood test specifically for HIV or just a general one? I would recommend not getting an HIV test unless you have had unprotected sex, as you don't need one, and it will only set you off down a cycle of getting tested everytime you perceive you've had a risk..

Good luck with the test x
    Last edited by gracesophia; 21-08-10 at 16:10. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by gracesophia View Post
    You had protected sex so you are not at risk that way. And yes, HIV is an incredibly weak virus and is rendered ineffective by changes in temperature etc, so it pretty much dies once it hits the air. It definitely doesn't hang around on loo seats even in blood.

Is your blood test specifically for HIV or just a general one? I would recommend not getting an HIV test unless you have had unprotected sex, as you don't need one, and it will only set you off down a cycle of getting tested everytime you perceive you've had a risk..

Good luck with the test x
    Thanks, Yeah mine is just a general one...okay that has put my mind at rest a little. It had probably been there for at least a few minutes before I arrived and sat down. And I don't even know if the blood actually went inside me, I think it just went on my leg, but still, I will worry myself senseless as usual!

- Emily Brontė

I had severe night sweats last night, so of course straight away I thought of HIV as this is one of the many symptoms.
    God I am such a mess!

- Emily Brontė

Hi GirlAfraid. It was quite a warm night lastnight so please don't worry about your night sweat. I was sweaty in bed lastnight too. Night sweats are when you are totally drenched in sweat and have to change your clothes plus they can be caused by medication or menstuation.

I worry a lot about HIV too. If the blood on the toilet seat did have HIV in it (very very unlikely as HIV isn't common in the UK) then it would have been destroyed by the air in seconds. You can't contract HIV from protected sex. Relax, you'll be ok

Moonlight

Thread Information