Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pauses (literally)

pauses (literally)

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else had similar simptoms or could shed some light on this:

I get ectopics every once in a while and interesting oddities like that, but I've learned to not pay attention to them and especially to not let them cause me to panic. However, lately I've been unable to not pay attention to one specific symptom I get:

I am constantly aware of my heartbeat because I have trained my body to be anxious, and therefore I instantly feel any abnormalities that happen to it, and when this weird heart pause happens, it's not like an eptopic beat, it's like the heart literally pauses for 2 or 3 seconds and just starts back up after that time (without a loud thud or anything, just normal beating). When this happens I get this weakness spread all over the body and I freak out. Sometimes it lasts for longer, but usually it's only 2 to 3 seconds.

I've had an ECG very recently because I had a flu and a bacterial infection, and I've been checked out by a cardio in the past.

I've been getting this for about 6 months that I can remember, and these usually happen at night, or when I'm resting. Today was the first time I noticed it when I was falling asleep. (I've probably gotten it a total of 10 times or so)

Any thoughts anyone?

Re: pauses (literally)

mine does that too, I'm not sure if it's a pause or a heart beat I just can't feel.
    I normally can feel when it skips a beat.
    sometimes my pulse feel very faint and slow.

I also suffer from this and it makes my legs feel tired and weak. It only lasts for a few seconds, but is unpleasant, but harmless so we are told. It sounds as though it's maybe when there's a longer than normal pause? That's what I imagine it to be anyway. I could write a flippin book about them and they still won't budge!!

mishel - but here it's like it skips several beats? it's strange.

also, I get the weak pulse too, and I often get it after an exhausting day, usually in the afternoon, and it's normal although it makes it more difficult for me to fall asleep

Maj - I think you know what I'm talking about. Really? It sounds pretty scary to me if your heart pauses. I found a video on youtube of a normal heart making a 3 second pause, but I'm not gonna post it here because it's pretty scary. It was a guy getting an echo and the recording was of the echo screen.

I know! But the thing is that I don't even know what the proper name for it is. Could you tell me how often it happens to you? And do you get freaked out when it does?

It tends to happen to me when I am really tired. Sometimes I take too much on myself and end up exhausted. I'll never learn. I think it's just another ectopic beat, varying only in timing. Whenever it happens I feel worn out after it, but then it's probably because I am worn out that it is happening! I told the doctor that they make me tired but they didn't seem too concerned. I know it is frightening but they seriously don't seem to think that they are dangerous and I would have probably keeled over by now and I'm still alive n kicking I think it's best if we don't try to analyse them too much because my heart seems to have a mind of it's own at times(sounds ridiculous but true!) It's another nasty symptom of anxiety and your body letting you know that you need to relax. Easier said than done.

Hmm, thank you Maj . But do you ever get it in the morning? (like this morning I was falling asleep again and it paused)

yeah there's a bit of long pause, with me I get s strange emptiness sensation in my chest if that makes any sense at all!

I think I only notice it when I am in bed,
    when I get full on palpitations, i will feel breathless and dizzy but i can normally ignore them.
    but when I'm in bed without any distraction i pick up on every little odd thing my heart does.

hi ive had the ectopics and funny beats what did ur ecg read

mishel, it's exactly what I feel, but I interpret it as more of a 'weakness' sensation, almost a paralysing feeling.

josparks - I had reverse t waves, but this is most likely normal for my age.

i had 6 ecgs all normal i was told that i have ectopics which are normal but mine get worse if i have coffee tea or coke i notice they calm if i dont have theses drinks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information