Thread: Why won't this thought go away?!

Why won't this thought go away?!

OK. So about a week ago, I was driving along and this thought popped into my head. "When I was little I used to eat strawberries from my Auntie's field. What if the strawberries weren't washed. Could I get cancer from the pesticides.?" Now the thought WON'T GO AWAY. I spoke to my doc about it and he said he wasn't going to tell me what he knew medically about it. So he tried to help me challenge my thinking. BUT I WANT ANSWERS!!! And i'm very scared of what those answers might be. I have been trying to think of ways to challenge my thinking since then but am having trouble. I keep thinking 'well my brother ate strawberries like I did and he's not worried.' And there are probably people ou there who don't wash fruit and veges before they eat them and they don't worry about it. I need help overcoming this. Don't want to visit the doc again as I have been there like so many times in a few weeks. HELP!! i AM OBSESSING OVER THIS !!

Re: Why won't this thought go away?!

I understand the stuck thoughts of 'what if'. Try to think about how our bodies are amazing and will deal with any germs that come along. It is designed to do that. Keep eating good foods to help your immune system. I have the 'what ifs; too.

You see it is not the germs I am worried about but the chemicals that were on the strawberries. I am trying to get away from the thought of 'I'm going to get cancer.' I hate sentences that start with 'what if.' !!!

All of my thoughts seem to start with "what if". feel so sick from it.
    Hope you feel better soon. x

most of my worries are about cancer too.
    my gran died from ovarian cancer at aged 40 which is considered very young-
    when i was pregnant I was petrified about having an ultrasound because they had to check my ovaries, the commotion before hand wasnt a pleasant experience.
    i was constantly saying "ive got cancer i know it, youre gonna find something on my ovaries"

I wouldn't worrie too much chuck. I think if you were going to develop something.. it would have happened ALREADY. And I dont wash strawbs before I eat them.. Infact I don't wash any fruit before I eat it...
    WHen we were little we all used to eat strange things.. a lot of my friends eat grass and concrete mix??LOL. And nothings happened to them.
    You'l be just fine xxxx x x xx

i agree with your doctor because the trouble with obessions is that once you deal with one - another tends to pop up so in fact - you are actually not worried about the pesticides - its just that your fear has latched onto it! i have had all sorts of obsessions in the past - the best way to deal with them is to let them be there and to challenge them until you literally get bored of them lol and they fade x

Thread Information