Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and citalopram

when or if I feel better I am gonna drink on escitalopram and will subscribe to this post and see how everyone else gets on with drink and the med.

but only way i will find out is by doing it and will post when i do it

Hi. Wish I'd met you in '98 when I started with the ISSR's. I was citalopram for as few years, then shifted to this cleaner escitalopram, and like it proposes, seems to have less side-effects.

I was put on them partially to help me with alcoholism, to get clean. I'm amazed at your ability to tell the difference between before and after ISSR drinking and hangovers. I can't tell, except perhaps as someone wrote, I feel more ready to go home already, and also, not the same paralyzing depression, guilt, etc. after a night out as before. I had attributed it to the Gift of Aging (now 50), but maybe the meds are helping in this regard?

Good luck to you all,
    Shalom

p.s. typo: "I was citalopram for as few years" waas supposed to read "I was ON citalopram for A few years". Perhaps the meds cause typing problems....

In any case, I think someone said escitalopram says explicitly no alcohol probalem. The page in my Cipralex reads, "Do not drink wines or alcoholic beverages while under treatment with this medicine." Gee, too bad I didn't happen tp read that for the past few years...

Shalom,
    Shalom

I have been on citalopram for four months!
    I drink a few glasses of weak wine[9%]in the week.And if i go out i drink barcardi and lemonade as i do find wine can go to ones head a bit.
    I think its ok to drink a few but check out your new limits slowly.The drink does go to your head quicker!xxx

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
    Hi all,

I've wondered about Citalopram and alcohol myself - I've been on 20mg for about 3 years and feel that I'm unwise in drinking my 'normal' amount which is low-ish during the week and binge-ish at the weekend.

I find that for a couple days after an amount of alcohol I'll be very edgy and anxious. I find also that I feel rather shaky and will break a sweat very easily.

I think that the wisest thing to do would be not to drink or failing that limit oneself to a couple of glasses of wine at most, but living in the UK's booze culture makes this difficult. It seems like I just want to have my cake and eat it...

I'm sure that booze upsets a chemical system in my brain and it takes a couple of days to right itself during which time I find my nerves are quite bad. Does this match other peoples' experience.

Take Care,

Simon

<div align="right">Originally posted by Badger66 - 27 March 2006 : 19:43:21</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Pat McCrea BSc-IACP

Hi Simon

Your right the alcohol upsets the balance of the seratonin re-uptake chemical system in the brain (especially binge drinking) it can take a few days to re-balance, old symptoms may appear incl the ones you mentioned and even re-accurance of panic attacks. However I have noticed with some clients that the odd glass of wine (with food) has little adverse effects if any.
    It's hard not having a few drinks when your out with friends at the weekends, I can empathise completely.

Take Care P.

Hi all,

I've wondered about Citalopram and alcohol myself - I've been on 20mg for about 3 years and feel that I'm unwise in drinking my 'normal' amount which is low-ish during the week and binge-ish at the weekend.

I find that for a couple days after an amount of alcohol I'll be very edgy and anxious. I find also that I feel rather shaky and will break a sweat very easily.

I think that the wisest thing to do would be not to drink or failing that limit oneself to a couple of glasses of wine at most, but living in the UK's booze culture makes this difficult. It seems like I just want to have my cake and eat it...

I'm sure that booze upsets a chemical system in my brain and it takes a couple of days to right itself during which time I find my nerves are quite bad. Does this match other peoples' experience.

Take Care,

Simon

<div align="right">Originally posted by Badger66 - 27 March 2006 : 20:43:21</div id="right">
    [/quote]

Pat McCrea BSc-IACP

I used to bash people when I drank and was on an SSRI med.

People can be unpredicatable sometimes.

Definately better off not to drink (pills will work better) if you can but if you do, then make sure its just a few.

Paul

before one can discover new oceans, one must first have the courage to leave the shore

I have now been on citalopram for 7months nearly!I have ben upping my wine slowly to see how my mind and body cope.So far ive found i tend to stick still with the weaker wines 9%,11%.I have reach the limit of 3 large glasses so far,so far so good!
    I think if your going to drink with meds just up it slowly entil you have found your limit as when you are young and drinking for the frist time again.Everybody is different and thats what we have to remember.xxx

I have just changed brands of citalopram which i have been taking since march,but the new brand say no alcohol!
    But the brand i have been taking since march say disscuss alcohol with your doctor.My doctor said it was fine to have a few glases of vino.
    They have the same active ingredent so why say different?
    Any replys gratefulxxxxxx

Hi my med info in the pack says do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine. Bit contradictory !!!

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information