Thread: SSRI'S AND DRINKING

SSRI'S AND DRINKING

So they just started me on paxil for anxiety, and its been pretty good so far. (been on it about a week ) I am also on klonopins. But i only usually take .25 a day. I am 19 and i drink usually 3 days out of teh week. I know this really isnt good for my anxiety but its hard for me to just quit. I was just seeing of the risks on my liver, even tho i am still young, is there need to worry alot? I am getting some wheatgrass drinks tommorow which i heard are good for your liver, anything else you suggest taking to make that liver a little stronger? Oh yah and i usually dont take a klonopin the morning that i am going to drink. And i never take them together.

atucally, ive been doing alot of research and paxil just seems like a horrible med to me on. Many horrible sideffects and withdrawals. I think im going to stop taking it tommorow, since its only been a week. and try to just use the klonopins when im having a attack.

pete from what i have heard about paxil ur right stop it now the stuff is addictive and a nightmare to withdraw from - some right horror storys out there about this stuff - they say its non addictive but my ex gf was on it and i think she still is - she cant get off it - dump it today - anything but paxil - paxil should be banned

Sorry for the long post but it is close to my heart and I have been thru everything asked. It is NOT over the top - just honest and factual. Dont anyone be offended by the alcohol comments please. They are nto meant to upset anyone and many people do not have problems with alcohol but many dont realise the massive addiction and social problems and because it is legal and accepted, it goess so un noticed.

Firstly, alcohol over a long time increases anxiety overall. They are not sure if people drink because of anxiety or anxiety is caused by drinking over time. They know it is a combination but not sure which one is main. BUT drinking definately causes anxiety over time.

I will tell you I was on a high dose of PAXIL for a long time years ago and no one knew about withdrawing and I went from 2 pills a day for over a year to NONE overnight and guess what, no withdrawls at all!

I have now tried lexapro SSRI and it is so amazing compared to paxil. Totally brilliant compared. But some love paxil also. Everyone is different. Please dont try benzodiazapines unless necessary. An SSRI medication is much better choice if possible.

Everyone is different. Paxil is the worst apparently and should be weaned definately due to its low half life. Some others are not as dangerous.

I had no problems though so not everyone will even get withdrawls so dont be concerned but certainly wean off when you are ready.

Having said that:

I find it funny (not in a bad way) that people are normally not worried about drinking when drinking is bad for you (liver), makes anxiety worse (next day and in future) and addictive but they are worried about taking valium which is treating something, makes anxiety better (when used correctly - pref short term), is addictive and bad for you... At least it has one positive in that it relieves anxiety for a long period of time and normally does nto create more problems like alcohol does. It is not a med that is the best but no worse than alcohol from what I have seen. Also, if it is treating something then it is not as bad as someone addicted to it and abusing it. Valium got a bad name due to it being the most prescribed drug in the 70s over anything. The doctors who had samples loved it so much many got hooked themselves lol. True! It has a bad name due its addiction potential, does not FIX the problems and also was way over prescribed back then for depression, jitters, greivances, anything at all they prescribed it for. It should be used for TERRIBLE debilitating anxiety while you learn coping techniques but I also know many who have been on it for years and their life is now worth living and they have no problems with it.

I quit drinking completely. I use a benzodiazipine (valium) sometimes and although can cause more anxiety over time in some people and some people build tolerance up of it and need more for the same effect, so does alcohol.

Valium does not stop or fix anxiety and is bad but so is drinking.

I quit as I said and if you are serious about getting rid of anxiety, I would say quit alcohol.
    Alcohol is one of the worst abused drugs in the world and I beleive it causes more problems in society than ANY other substance.

Drinking almost killed my life and family. Drinking kills so many families in many ways sadly. A few drinks safely like 2 small wines a few nights a week is good for you. Any more and it is damaging and you are an alcoholic. Drink a beer or 4 most nights? You ARE an alcoholic. Sorry to tell you but you are. FACT. I am not saying you should stop or it is a problem but it is an alcoholic. Most people are alcoholics but it does not represent MAJOR problems so they dont stop but overall alcohol is the worst thing in our community.

Not having a go at you at all either. You sound sensible but people hate one drug and favour another when they are both as bad as the other.

I will say valium and xanax and the like are abused also and are not the preferred drugs but trying to point out to some people that some of the other legal drugs are more socially accepted b

Thread Information