Thread: Echocardiogram

Echocardiogram

Hi all, i managed to convince my cardiologist that im seeing next month to give me an echocardiogram (heart scan). Ive had normalm ECG's and a normal 24 Hour ECG but because of my family history and symptoms im getting, he decided it would put my mind at ease. I just wanted to know if anyones had one, what tom expect, and will he do any other tests (stress test etc etc) Also, will i get results there and then and if not, how long will i have to wait?? Im getting it on 26th October, i just want it to hurry up so I can get rid of this constant worry about my heart.

**** He who fears something gives it power over him.- Moorish proverb ****

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

Re: Echocardiogram

Hiya I had one of these about 3 year ago its just a scan of the heart If I remember correctly I think you wait 2 weeks for the results. I also have a family history of heart problems on the male side. I'm female but was gettin lots of chest pain and left arm pain (still do). I had the heart scan and recently I've had 24hr holter moniter trace stress test bloods and tons of ecgs all came back fine as my doctor knew they would. I've been told its just anxiety and my heart is fine I still find it hard to believe that anxiety can cause so much chest pain. My doctor says there is no more tests and I have to believe its anxiety. Good luck I'm sure you will be fine xx

thanks

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

I had one a few months ago. You just go into this room which is quite dark, take off your top and bra, lie down, then you'll have the ecg patches put on your chest, (I think she took mine off after she did an ECG) and then she'll put jelly on your chest and move the transducer around which gives her a video on the screen behind you of your heart, I avoided looking but you can see if you want to. You can hear your heart beat as it would sound inside your body which I found crazy!

It's not painful but at times it was uncomfortable as she pressed down hard on my chest with the transducer once or twice.

She told me that everything looked perfect but that the doctor would look at it and let me know. It took a few weeks before I met with the cardiologist, and thankfully eveything was normal.

You'll be fine, it only takes a few minutes.

Thank u ella im so pleased im getting one, and i am guna go back to my cbt counsellor afterwards to try to stop me slipping!

Thread Information