Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I might want to claim incapacity benefit

I might want to claim incapacity benefit

I'm totally eligible for jsa, but I haven't claimed for ages because I hate the atmosphere in the job centre and sometimes I feel panicky, and I don't want it to be a constant issue. So maybe incapacity benefit might be the way to go. However, I don't want to act like someone who isn't capable of getting out and about, or like someone who can't work. What that means is that I'm aware that there are people who claim IB and then they're spotted dong things which they wouldn't be able to do if their claim was genuine. What I want is to have an alternative to jsa while I'm not working (although I'm doing voluntary work), and whenever I'm inbetween jobs. I want to be free to seek work and do whatever I want without feeling like someone is spying on me. I don't think it's cool to have to act like I can't do anything at all, when I can. Also, I'm sure that claiming IB will involve talking to someone and somehow demonstrating that I'm eligible, but I'd prefer if they come to me rather than me going to see them.

Is this realistic?

Re: I might want to claim incapacity benefit

I don't think you will be eligible for it to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Why not?

Because you are not incapacitated

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Because basically if you are able to do voluntary work, then you are capable of work, i hardly think they would allow it.

Slightly off topic but I don't believe it is possible to put in a new claim for Incapacity Benefit anyway as it is being phased out, it would have to be Employment and Support Allowance.

You would have to attend for a medical as it is highly unlikely they would come and see you in normal circumstances, if you are doing voluntary work away from your home it is highly unlikely you would receive this benefit.

You would definitely not be eligible for a home visit.

What about "permitted work"? There's a certain amount of paid work that you can do, so surely voluntary work souldn't be a problem.

This link may help you understand Leafar www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/incapacity-benefit sue

I have agoraphobia and CAN'T work. I would love to go out to work again but unfortunately that's not an option for me at the moment.

I am currently on work and support benefit and i have to fight to be on that. Going to tribunal because they are questioning whether i can go out to work or not.

You can't pick and choose what benefit you recieve going which mood you are in is so rediculous so no, you won't get it.

Lisa

incapacity benefit is for those who cannot work, however you can, i'm sure alot of our members would be thankful to get out the front door, let alone work, as an agoraphobic i find you wanting to claim pretty annoying to be honest.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information