Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both parents gone

Both parents gone

Does anyone else feel afraid to be alone? My father died in 2001 and my mother just passed away about a month ago. I live by myself, but my son is close and I have a boyfriend who stops by sometimes for supper. I do get panicky being by myself sometimes. I try to stay busy, but I noticed that since my Mom passed away (she lived close by), the feeling of being alone is worse. I would imagine some of this is because of the loss of my mother and some from my panic disorder. Anybody else feel alone?

Re: Both parents gone

I live with my partner and kids but i often feel alone when it comes to anxiety and panic

I guess with both of them gone I feel so much more alone. I think I am a very dependent person. My therapist is trying to get me more independent. He keeps telling me that I do not need other people around all the time. That I can handle my anxiety on my own and I need to work on that.
    I'm sure I am grieving the loss of my mother, too, that makes the anxiety worse.

Hi, I live with my children but feel lonely at times, I think it is anxiety which makes us feel this way, I know Im not alone with the kids and my family for support just feel it sometimes, think it just gets to us more.

Grievings never eay and bound to make you feel more anxious jo

I think so, too. Today I am by myself. My boyfriend (who is really more of a friend,platonic) is working and my son is at his apartment. So, I have been trying to keep busy. I used to check on my Mom a few times a day, but now with her gone, I have to try to find some things that I can look forward to. Get some goals. It is just so hard to do with the anxiety. I do work full-time, which helps.

Youre doin well in that respect Jo,i enjoy goin to work and keepin busy but as youre aware some are not so lucky,so we should be thankful for what we are able to do

That is for sure. I did take 2 and a half months off because of the anxiety. I went back to work in June. I still get anxious, but I think work is better than being at home thinking about my anxiety.

I lost my mum 4 years ago and miss her terribly. I saw her every day and there was a massive hole in my life when she died.
    I have 2 sons one who is disabled so I look after him. I have recently divorced after 25yrs of marriage. Like you I get terribly lonely sometimes. It seems to come in waves....sometimes I enjoy just having my son to look after but othertimes I would give anything for someone to be there to support me.

Take care
    Carol xx

Hi - I understand the feeling, being alone was never such a big part of my anxiety but my dad died the day after Xmas and my mum died at the end of June and since then I have had terrible fears around being alone. I'm 36yrs old and married with children but somehow the thought of no longer having my parents there makes me very anxious. I'm not entirely sure where the feelings come from as I was never very reliant on them practically in life although my mum would come and stay with us a lot and was wonderful to have around. I'm only just starting to grieve fully I think after a few months of shock but my panic attacks have increased lately and I'm terrified of being alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information