Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic/anxiety and weight gain

Panic/anxiety and weight gain

Ive read loads of posts about people who loose a lot of weight. Ive actually put on 3 stone in the ten years since my illness started.. Anyone else had this problem? Im wondering how common it is?
    I guess being agoraphobic and lack of excercise is partly to blame, but my appetite has increased, and Im actually hungry about an hour after a main meal. My self-esteem is so low, I look frumpy and unattractive...hubby says its fine though

I find it so hard to control the hunger pangs, and cant really excersise due to constant vertigo. Down in the dumps big time today, and 2 of my seriously over weight friends have both lost 3/4 stone and look amazing! Well done them, but has compounded my feelings of lack of worth and disgust at my body.

My gp helpfully has now told me Im clinically obese. Im 5'6, weight 13 and half stone, 40 inch rib cage (big boned mam called it). Any one else put on a lot of weight?
    Any tips for controlling hunger?
    Any tips for excercise for the vertigo challenged?! thanks friends x
    Bad day today. x sob sob sob sob sob sob

Re: Panic/anxiety and weight gain

Hi Paula. Im afraid Im one of those people that loses weight through anxiety, but I know exactly how you feel. I was under 7 stone at my worst this year and my body repulsed me. Even now I feel jealous of women who have curves.
    The circle of loathing that you are on only makes your problems worse though. As soon as I accepted that for now this is me I noticed I was slowly beginning to put the weight back on again. Im still not happy with myself, but I dont dwell on it anymore.
    The same can work for you too.
    I would also start to log your intake each day and see where you can start trimming away the excess calories.
    I used this site http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/index.php to help me to gain weight. It showed me that I wasnt eating as much as I thought I was, and hopefully it will show you the opposite.

Thanks Vixxy x
    I just checked it out...says I need to shave 500 calories a day, (or 250 with food and 250 of exercise) in order to reach my goal of 12 stone. It says I can reach my target in 146 days!
    Am very worried about being an apple shape. I know the dangers of laying fat down in the middle, and internal organs.. Am taking meds for high bp and cholesterol...prime candidate for heart attack and stroke..
    Can exercise due to vertigo...so it looks like calorie counting it is...just wich I wasnt hungry all the time..must be the anxiety as I was 10 stone all my adult life til I started getting panic attacks.
    Thank you for your reply x
    Anyone on here put weight on?? Thanks in advance, and thanks monkey for your PM. x

My friend just arrived...shes given me all her old "fat clothes"...feeling absolutely crap...worthless...disgusting...frumpy...and so so old. Havent had a bad day like this in monthes Any body else put weight on? x

Paula, please dont feel so down about your friend giving you her old clothes. Youre a caring lovely person who is always on here offering help and advice! Youre worth more than a bit of excess fat.
    It will be a slow process to lose weight, but you will get there.
    I used to get horrid vertigo years ago with my anxiety and was given medication to stop it. Maybe ask your GP if there is anything you can take. I dont know how bad yours is, but maybe you could try a bit of dancing at home?

sorry you are feeling so bad lyneei also tend to gaina lot of weight when my anxiety bad as i comfort eat a lot. does the GP have any suggestions about exercises you could do that would not be effected by the vertigo? or what about an occupation therapist- maybe they may have some ideas? there is a really good book about coping with body image issues- you can buy it on amazon and its called overcoming body image disturbance. i found some bits of it really helpful, may be worth a try? xxx

and another thing... my friends brother who has schizophrenia and put on 8 stone due to the antipsychotic meds has finally lost the weight and looks amazing.... as soon as his mental health started to get sorted he was able to do it. be kind to yourself xxx

Thanks ems, thanks vixxy.....having a cry now...dont know whats going on with me today hubby just called and asked if I wanted to go to a harvester....I declined but my first thought was IM FAT AND IVE GOT NOTHING TO WEAR...it wasnt..oh what if I have a panic attack......Im so scared right now...feeling like this since I woke up...wish I was a pear not an apple!! x
    Anyone else who has put weight on?? Thanks guys xx

Paula

I've gained over 3 and a half stones since last Christmas. I'm only 5' 2" so you can imagine, that I look like elephant lady!!!

I was hospitalised for 8months last year, and when I was discharged, I spent a lot of time lying in bed...this hasn't helped, I know, but when you're scared to step outside alone, it's difficult isn't it?

As you can see below, I'm also on prescribed medication, whose side effects list as weight gain...but I can't keep on using this as an excuse.

I went to a Birthday party on Friday night...the first I'd been to since my illness last year. I felt really frumpy...but I made the best of things and decided to wear a low cut dress. I didn't know many people there, and although I panicked a few times, my hubby said I looked beautifully endowed, which made me feel better. I thought that if anyone was going to look at me, then all would be amply rewarded And my two adult children said how proud they were of me...which made all the effort worth it...

I still feel awkward though, and I can't exercise like I used to do...I find clothes hard to fit, so I'm gonna let it all hang out, cos like the old saying goes, "if you've got it, flaunt it!".

I've got to get to back to full health mentally, before I can get back to a size 14. Yet I do know exactly how you feel...............sorry, hang on.....................I was just finishing of a jam doughnut! Only jesting

Chin up sweetie, at the end of the day, you are you, and from what I've read relating to your posts, you're a lovely kind, considerate, caring, member of this forum...and to most of us here, Paula, you shape up, very well.

Take care,

Sue x

Current Medication: Propranolol; Depakote; Sertraline; Pregabalin; Zopiclone.

Nevermind....
    Last edited by Davyboy; 11-11-10 at 09:35.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information