Thread: Thought I had beaten fear of death :(

Thought I had beaten fear of death :(

Hi guys
    its been a few months since ive been on here as i was beginning to overcome my fear of dying.
    I was put on meds and started to feel better, however I am in bed unable to sleep as my mind has become consumed with these awful thoughts again and im starting to wonder if this is ever going to end and if im going to feel better :'(

Katie x

Re: Thought I had beaten fear of death :(

Hi Katie, sorry to hear you are feeling yuk again. I get these horrid thoughts too and sometimes I feel like banging my head to get rid of them! My CBT therapist says 'why bother with them' - if only it was that easy. But he is right, they are only thoughts, not reality. I made a list earlier of all the advantages/disadvantages of my worrying and panic - there were loads of disadvantages and only one advantage - losing some weight cos I have been in such a state for a couple of weeks that I don't feel like food! I hope you get some sleep tonight - I haven't been brave enough to get into bed yet cos I know my mind will go into overdrive. x

Hi Katie, I too felt like you for ages after my mum died. It got so bad, I got rid of my telephone (hard suffering with panic and agorophobia-no lifeline), I was so scared everytime it rung, it would be bad news.......I would say that since you felt better for a while, your meds did make a difference. Maybe see your gp, they may adjust your dose x

Fear of death is such a common fear and much of it stems from not knowing what is after death and about those we will leave behind. This is a fear I had and it was crippling me. I had no joy in living! All I was doing was waiting for death and life was passing me by.

The fact is, we will all die.
    But what is more important is how we live our lives right now.
    I decided to make sure those I loved knew that I loved them and to do my best for them. My son is 11 and the thought of passing away before he was 20 (I have this idea that by 20 he will be emotionally able to deal with life) was worrying.
    We can spend the rest of our life worrying about something we can do nothing about(ok we can eat better, stop smoking, walk more etc) or we can start living our life.

I suffer from the same thing, and I have done for years! And I always say live every day like it's your last but it just makes me worse because it makes me very aware that I will die. It is a genuine paralysing fear from me that can have me in tears, and I don't know how to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by wkraitgihet View Post
    Hi guys
    its been a few months since ive been on here as i was beginning to overcome my fear of dying.
    I was put on meds and started to feel better, however I am in bed unable to sleep as my mind has become consumed with these awful thoughts again and im starting to wonder if this is ever going to end and if im going to feel better :'(

Katie x

Heya!

One of the most important things to remember is when you have a fear mixed with panic attacks and anxiety it is with you forever ( that sounds bad but it's really not! ). These are things that over time we learn to deal with but relapses are possible, once you have 'beaten' a phobia the trick is to start over again and try not to allow it to consume you when you have a relapse.

Keep reminding yourself every morning when you wake up "Hey, I got through that night and I am still here, what was I worried about?". When you are having bad thoughts and/or panic attacks try listening to some calming music as you are falling asleep and direct your mind to the sounds to try and put the thoughts out of your mind.

Hi,

I Saw your post and feel your pain..I have read everything I can find on life after life and near death experiences and find that although my rational mind moves beyond it,sometimes its really believable .. It helps then my fear returns or my preoccupation with it ..then I start thinking about what Mark Twain Said.. author Samuel Clemens in his quote about death. I have been dead billions of years before I was born and it was never an inconvenience to me then and so its not to seem like much of a bother when I die. Kind of makes sense to me but im rooting for the life after life to be real ..Anyway wanted you to know you aren't alone. Michael

Thread Information