Thread: Alcohol and a horrible 2 weeks

Alcohol and a horrible 2 weeks

Dear everyuone - I found this website while trying to spell a name of an anti-depressant drug and it's very timely.

I take 25 grams of citropram and have done for about 6 months, before that a variety of others. I have been able to drink a couple of glasses of wine - even up to 4 a week without any reaction but 2 weeks ago I started drinking 2 glasses a night because I wasn't feeling happy. One night I swallowed 750mls of chocolate liqueur (without feeling drunk at all - I'm a big boy) and the next night half another bottle of liqueur with the 2nd half the next. Deliberate binge drinking. What I didn't realise was that I started getting very depressed and all the normal symptoms of that came through. Then I started not remembering what had happened during the days (parts of the day), and it got worse.

I have drunk alcohol like this before but never with such a severe reaction.

Mid last week I got my left arm caught in a metal filing cabinet at work and when I pulled it out I got about 20 deep scratches down it which bled - looks like a lion clawed me. But it didn't hurt at all and it would normally have done so.

Now I have come out of the depressive mood (and that took a week) I can see how dangerous the last 2 weeks were, not only because of how I was feeling but how I could have acted - like walking in front of a train.

Does anyone know from experience whether alcohol will ALWAYS cause such a reaction with anti-deressants or whether hormones in the body (I'm 40) can play havoc as well?

Many thanks
    Bruce

Bruce I do know that binge drinking is not good for you full stop, but with medication i should imagine all that you felt was due to the drink mixed with your meds.

I don't drink, so i can't say i am right, but i'm sure if you looked through some of the posts on here you will find the info that you need.

Regards

Trish

Hi Bruce

Welcome to the forum.

Alcohol itself acts as a depressant and drinking on top of medication can certainly cause things to be worse.

Have a read through some of these posts:

Alcohol
    alcohol and panic-do they mix?
    Alcohol
    Anxiety and alcohol
    Alcohol
    hangovers
    Panic attacks and alcohol
    horrible cycle
    Anxaiety after drinking alcohol

Alcohol and meds
    Alcohol and medication
    MEDS AND ALCOHOL
    PTSD and Alcohol (UPDATE)
    Alcohol?
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/lounge/topic.asp?TOPIC ID=5126
    Alcohol and citalopram

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Bill
    I was a chronic alcoholic for many years but when I stared my meds and drank at the same time (a lot as usual), I was VERY violent. When I stopped my meds, I was fine again drinking but I started meds again and was VERY violent again.

They certainly can react with alcohol.

I quit drinking over a year ago and wont drink again due to my problems and although it was the best thing I ever did to quit and actually made me more happy than when I drank, I still think about drinking lately.

Drinking is bad and worse with meds yes.

Also, can make anxiety much worse and certainly depression.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Put it this way, I think the violence came out with meds as I got depressed drinking on the meds and I basically didnt care what I did and was trying to stuff my life up.
    If I ever start drinking again, it will be knowing that it is because I want to end it all.

Chop

Learning to under react

hiya bill
    I have a problem with drinking, as well. im on citlalopram 20mg. for me its like playing the game rushion rulelet. one day i drink im normal then this is my experince.

i had a pint in the afternoon to socialize, then to glasses of wine in evening at a friends before i went to work. on my second glass i coundnt remember anything. apperently the poilce was called and i gave them verbal abuse and smashed the back window of thier car. i was in the cell all night and still till this day i dont remember a thing. i have found that its what drink you drink and to find your limit on them. i can drink beer, but only 4pints and im happy, one more and i go crazy.

best luck hun sarah x

s.walters

The only real answer I guess in these situations is to stop drinking or stop drinking too much?

Its hard as to do. But i was chronic alco, if i can do it, anyone can.

And eventually it does help very much.

My mouth drools at the thought of a drink, I run past the pub and the stale smell of beer turns me on! I can do it - anyone can.

Cheers
    Chop

Learning to under react

Thread Information