Thread: Why?

Why?

I've been on 20mg of citalopram since January after a bad few months. I've been feeling great, with just a few grotty days which I guess is to be expected, but over the past 2 weeks the grotty days have been more consistent, and on Saturday, for the first time in about 11 months I had a bit of a spoon out and I'm feeling pretty pants today after a rubbish night of waking up and odd thoughts. What would have caused this sudden relapse like that? Fortunately I need to get to my doctors this week to get a new prescription, but just wanted to see if this is a common occurrence, I'm really new to all this. Thanks for your time.

Re: Why?

Hi gav

By a "spoon out", do you mean a night on the beer? If so, alcohol is dreadful for making anxiety worse. If you have a trawl through the posts on this site, you'll find that it affects loads of people like this (including me).

Anxiety and depressive illnesses do seem to have lots of ups and downs, whether you're on medication or not, which is a bit of a bummer as it makes the whole experience very unpredictable.

My advice is that you mention the increase in grotty days the next time you see your GP - I'm sure he/she will be able to help out with this.

Hi yeah sorry, that wasn't the best term to use, what I meant was I had a mini anxiety attack, a hot flush that spun me out. I haven't had anything like that in nearly a year. The silly thing is, I've been feeling so good and confident recently that I was gonna talk to the doctor about coming off the meds, then this happens??

like Blueangel said we all have our off days. I was feeling much better until 2 weeks ago and suddenly my anxiety level shot up and the dizzy came back. Just take one day at a time - baby steps.

Hi Gav,
    I think we all just have to accept that despite being on the meds there are always going to be bad days. Take comfort in the fact that you recognise the symptoms, you've had it all before and it's gone away before. The other thing I do is try not to always look for a reason. I can get obsessed with "why is today a bad day.....what have I done differently" which just keeps the anxiety going. Tomorrow will be different!!

Thanks guys, invaluable advice and support as always. I just thought I was turning a corner, so was pretty surprised with this weekends events, although it does come after a couple of weeks of a noticeable low ebb, which I've put down to the changing of the seasons and the now dark evenings.

There is a lot to be said for the changing of the seasons, don't under-estimate the impact the darker nights have. I'm SURE you are still turning a corner...this is just a little trip up on the way.

Actually, that's a very good point from KatieBel - the change in seasons can be very damaging to those of us who are sensitive to anxiety and depression. I've noticed this for a number of years now, and all sorts of symptoms are more frequent at this time of year, from poor sleeping to IBS.

I keep having to resort to one day at a time as well. Although I have the support of a fantastic partner, we are both trying to get through divorces at the moment and I am getting loads of grief at work as well. So it becomes a matter of crisis management!!

Yeah I know sometimes it's a mistake to look for reasons and to over analyse, but I just put 2 and 2 together, with the onset of the low mood with the clocks going back. Oh well, guess we'll have to see how I go this week and then have a chat with my doctor when I see him at the end of the week. Thanks again everyone, any words are much appreciated.

Hi Gav,
    I can relate to your post although only been on citalopram since June.
    It would be good to hear how things are with you and what you decide to do when you've seen your doc?
    Clare X

Thread Information