Thread: Odds on getting a council house????

Odds on getting a council house????

I am 35 and cant ever remember a time that i didn't have social phobia and agoraphobia, i have only ever worked for 6 months in my life and have struggled on benefits all my life.
    I grew up in a little kent village where i lived with my dad until i met my hubby when i was 28 and had to move to a town as we couldn't afford the rent in any of the little villages and no lardlords wanted dss or pets.
    When i lived in the village i had good and bad days, some days i could go out on my own, i had my family and friends around me for support and even a family friend who lived up the road who runs a taxi service so i could get places but since living in the town i have not once been out on my own thats 6 YEARS also its the first time in my life that i feel unsafe in my house too.
    I saw a social worker for the first time today who is going to get me counciling and a medication review as i am not on anything so of course i am very worried about seeing new people but she did ask why i dont just move back to a village so i had a look at how you can get points on the council list and it says points can be awarded because 'the applicants accommodation is unsatisfactory or unsuitable and this is affecting the applicants or a member in the household medical condition' Now is agoraphobia or social phobia classed as a medical condition? what about panic attacks? migraines? and all the other physical symptoms that come with phobias? Anyone know please?
    My hubby as also been suffering with depression for the last 5 years too so i wonder if thats classed as a medical condition????
    It also says social and welfare points can be awarded 'if the applicants accommodation is unsatisfactory or unsuitable and having a detrimental affect on the applicant or member of the household' it says 'points can be awarded if the applicant or a member of the household is vulnerable and needs to move to receive support' So would moving back to be closer to friends and family be classed as receiving support???
    I would like to try to move back to a village but i know i will need at least 240 points to even stand a chance of getting offered a council house so i will need to get points for medical and points for social/welfare and i wondered if anyone else on here was awarded points for agoraphobia/social phobia or any of the symptoms that come along with it?
    Thank you

Re: Odds on getting a council house????

Hi Sara,

I’m sorry I don’t know exactly, but I think professional letters to back up your claim will go a long way. So ask your doctor, social worker, counsellor – everyone dealing with your mental health needs – to write to the council. Ask them to state why your current housing situation is detrimental to your physical and mental wellbeing, and why a village environment would help.

“My hubby as also been suffering with depression for the last 5 years too so i wonder if thats classed as a medical condition????”

Again, I’m not an expert, but I think depression is recognised as more of a medical condition than things like anxiety and agoraphobia are. So perhaps you could get letters sent regarding your husband too.

Best of luck
    Nigel

Hi Sara1975,

The council has done away with the point system, still put in medical letter's and any kind of support letter that you can get to support your application.

I hope this helps.

Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Hi Sara,

I’m sorry I don’t know exactly, but I think professional letters to back up your claim will go a long way. So ask your doctor, social worker, counsellor – everyone dealing with your mental health needs – to write to the council. Ask them to state why your current housing situation is detrimental to your physical and mental wellbeing, and why a village environment would help.

“My hubby as also been suffering with depression for the last 5 years too so i wonder if thats classed as a medical condition????”

Again, I’m not an expert, but I think depression is recognised as more of a medical condition than things like anxiety and agoraphobia are. So perhaps you could get letters sent regarding your husband too.

Best of luck
    Nigel
    Hi thank you i will

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne_uk_98 View Post
    Hi Sara1975,

The council has done away with the point system, still put in medical letter's and any kind of support letter that you can get to support your application.

I hope this helps.

Yvonne
    Hi the council i want to move to still have the points system as my brother just got a council house with them or should i say with the housing association that the council sold there properties too.
    But thank you

Thread Information