Thread: New and scared silly

New and scared silly

Hi everyone, I am new though I have been reading post for a couple of weeks. I have been diagnosed with depression for 21 years now and recently tapered slowly off of cymbalta. I had hoped to manage without meds but within a week after going off I was riddled with anxiety and felt my mood slipping. My psychiatrist put me on citalopram and I have increased up to 40 mg. I have been at 40 mg for about 11 days now and today was a pretty bad day. It has been 18 days since I started at 10 mg. I am having such a hard time keeping hopeful that this is going to work again. I was on it for 9 years before the cymbalta which made me feel so drugged.
    I just really need some encouragement and someone to tell me that this is going to work. When I experienced a distressing event a year and a half ago I was switched to the cymbalta because the anxiety flared badly. I have depression but the anxiety is a significant component of it. When I started the citalopram many years ago I don't remember how long it took to work and at that time the doctor used wellbutrin and 600 mg trazadone at the same time. I eventually tapered down to 100mg of trazadone and dropped the wellbutrin and had no difficulties until it became necessary to try cymbalta.
    So today I feel kind of worse and have been crying a bit. I wonder if I am at a turning point or if it is getting worse.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and for commenting.

Hi Laneybc

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Re: New and scared silly

hi Laneybc, I'm on Citalopram and I think it's one of the meds that can start working quicker but still takes about 3-4wks (but don't take my word for it). There's info to the left of this page which you can click on. You will begin to feel better, it's just rough at the beginning. Take care and I'm sure you will find loads of support on this site

aboard NMP how you find this forum as useful as I have, its been my life saver. All the best Kerry x

Hi and to NMP .you will find a lot of help and support here .t/c luv Sue x

Hi and welcome to NMP
    Paige x

Hi Laney, a warm welcome to you, its a fantastic site for support and advice, and youll make some good friends along the way x

hi and to nmp

Thread Information