Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had a shock at the docs today and now feel that I don't belong here

I had a shock at the docs today and now feel that I don't belong here

Ive had anxiety and panics for many years and have learned how to cope with many of the symptoms. Ive also, like alot of people here, had many tests...cardio mostly and blood tests every year. I had a blood test the other week and the doctor has called me in to see him about changing my medication (ive been taking propranolol for about three years which has helped my ectopics etc) and when I went in today, he told me that my thyroid function is isn't too good and I need to start to take thyroxine I was absolutely floored by this...ive been so used to them saying that all my symptoms are because of anxiety, which brought me to this forum in the first place.

I told him that ive been tested for this amongst other things on numerous occasions and it has never been mentioned in the results, and he said that it can take a number of years to show up, and that all of the symptoms ive had in the past were probably because of this slowly building up over time...ectopics, breathlessness, forgetfulness, twitchy eyes, weight gain, constipation, losing hair on eyebrows and eyelashes, the list just goes on and on but the thing is that now ive been told that it is in fact a physical problem, I feel that I can't now advise people on anxiety, because for me anxiety was a symptom of an underactive thyroid.

I just feel a bit lost and misplaced if you can understand me...what do I do now? Do I leave the forum? I don't know what to do

Anna xxx

Re: I had a shock at the docs today and now feel that I don't belong here

but as much that it is physical you was still mental for you as well and that shouldnt change what you know and do to cope with anxiety cuz ofcause that thyroid problem has made you have anxiety so carry on as normal i say

Absolutely not..This is the time you really need support and we are all here for you.Whether is anxiety or real illness or anxiety illness.We are all here for you. Michael

Anna, don’t be silly

I’ve sometimes felt that way too. I don’t suffer with the sort of panic and anxiety that this forum was set up for, although I do worry about things and have some confidence/social anxiety issues. Should I resign too

That doesn’t mean I don’t understand and don’t have anything useful to contribute. My friend told me that many times in the early days when I was uncertain. Nic has told me much the same.

Anyway, who know how much is due to a thyroid problem and how much is anxiety? Hope the meds help ease some of those symptoms.

“I just feel a bit lost and misplaced if you can understand me...what do I do now?”

If you feel happy here, there’s always a light on in the window...

Nigel

...a light on in the window when I get there. And that's all I really asked for and you guys did that for me...Thank you.

Anna xx

I can imagine that was a shock.

I certainly dont think that you need to leave, you give great advise for a start!

I’m still a relative newbie but for sure don’t leave. One of the passions in my life is my classic car (see avatar) and I am a member of lots of classic car forums and can tell you that on average only half the folk have classic cars; by and large it is just a community of friends who support each other.

I am anxiety free most of the time as mine just comes in waves, sometimes I’m anxious for a few hours sometimes a few days or a couple of weeks but then it goes and can be gone for months. I think the best thing about this forum is that when folk have major worries and scares there are both fellow sufferers with similar symptoms who can reassure and there are anxiety free(ish) posters who can do the old ’pull yourself together’ lecture.

Please stay you know you want to

Absolutely no need to leave Anna . Hope the thyroxine makes you feel better x

Personally i dislike blaming everything on anxiety! How many tests have you had for your tyroid? I have had 3 in four years , lol i hope the meds help with the symptoms x aw dont go if you dont want to , there are a few here with tyroid problems too and other health issues n you can tell people to get there tyroids retested every so often .

Having worked for a thyroid advice charity as an advisor can I ask a few questions and give a bit of info if you don't mind. If you have had quite a few thryoid tests in the past then thankfully your thyroid has not been very low for a long time but was probably borderline in the past tests and alot of drs wait and see what happens. What dose of thryoxine is he starting you on???

I have had an underactive thryoid for over 20 yrs and even though i take the meds and my blood tests are totally normal I still have some of the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and my Dr says this is normal as the tablets cannot in everyone be a complete fix just as in a diabetic insulin keeps them alive but they still have problems so if your symptoms don't disappear completely don't worry its normal. Of course alot of the symptoms are also common anxiety symptoms so if its anxiety causing them they will not disappear either other than from the placebo effect.

On the advice front - make sure you get your blood tested frequently in the first year until you are stable and after that every 6 months - alot of Drs say once a year but this is far too long so just stick to the 6 months.

Hope you feel fighting fit very soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information